BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tgrandchamp
Fluorite | Level 6

I am new to the PROC SGMAP procedure and after reviewing the documentation and online examples I have a question regarding the transparency of the polygons created in the Choromap statement. Currently the only outputs I can produce displays these polygons as opaque which prevents me from viewing information on the openstreet or esri background map. I have experimented with the NOOPAQUE option in the SGMAP statement but it does not seem to effect the opacity of the choromap polygons.

Does the GMAP procedure have the functionality to control the opacity of the choromap polygons? Is this a feature i need to control using a graph style template rather than in the SGMAP proc itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Use the TRANSPARENCY option on the CHOROMAP statement to do this. For example, TRANSPARENCY=0.5 is 50% transparent. TRANSPARENCY=1.0 is fully transparent 

Hope this helps!

Dan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Use the TRANSPARENCY option on the CHOROMAP statement to do this. For example, TRANSPARENCY=0.5 is 50% transparent. TRANSPARENCY=1.0 is fully transparent 

Hope this helps!

Dan

tgrandchamp
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Dan, this works great. I am shocked the TRANSPARENCY option is not included in the documentation for the SGMAP procedure!

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

In your last paragraph you mention GMap (perhaps just a typo, intending SGMap?)

In any event, here's how to use transparency for colors in GMap ... you can specify alpha-transparent colors in the pattern statement.

The form of an alpha-transparent color is Arrggbbxx (where xx controls the amount of transparency).

Here's an example of a simple GMap, with transparent red polygons, and an image in the background (so you can see that the polygons are transparent):

goptions iback='C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Nature\img2.jpg';
pattern1 v=s color=Aff000055;
proc gmap data=maps.us map=maps.us;
id statecode;
choro segment / levels=1 nolegend;
run;

gmap_transparent.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation