BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I want to create a bar chart as follows with the following data. I knew that we can accomplish this using proc sgplot but I'm not certain to create a chart for each observation. Appreciate if someone of you help me here.

Data preparation:

data test;
  length name average_talk_time_answered_calls Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls $200;
  name='Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983)';
  Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls='116,3953488';
 Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls='290,4883721';output; 
  name='Verhaeghe, Johny (E002902)';
  Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls='86,66666667';
  Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls='2,333333333';output;
;
run; 

data temp(drop=Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls) ;
set test;
Avg_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls=input(tranwrd(Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls,',','.'),best.);
Avg_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls=input(tranwrd(Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls,',','.'),best.);
run;

Dataset:

name Avg_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls Avg_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls
Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983) 1.163.953.488 2.904.883.721
Verhaeghe, Johny (E002902) 8.666.666.667 2.333.333.333

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11

Here's how I made it with SGPLOT.  Just had to change your dataset around a touch.

data test;
  length name average_talk_time_answered_calls Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls $200;
;
run; 

data temp(drop=Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls) ;
set test;
Avg_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls=input(tranwrd(Average_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls,',','.'),best.);
Avg_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls=input(tranwrd(Average_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls,',','.'),best.);
run;

data plot;
    set temp;
    length category $100.;
    category='Average Talk Time Answered Calls';time=Avg_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls;output;
    category='Average ACW Time Answered Calls';time=Avg_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls;output;
run;

ods graphics / reset width=10in;
title 'Avg Talk Time (sec), ACW Talk Time (sec) Calls Answered';
proc sgplot data=plot;
     vbar name / response=time group=category groupdisplay=cluster grouporder=descending;
     keylegend / position=topright location=inside down=2 title='';
     refline 'Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983)' / axis=x discreteoffset=0.5 lineattrs=(color=black pattern=1);
     yaxis min=0 max=350 values=(0 to 350 by 50) grid gridattrs=(color=black pattern=solid) display=(nolabel) offsetmin=0 offsetmax=0;
     xaxis display=(nolabel) offsetmin=0.3 offsetmax=0.3;
run;

SGPlot.png

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

SGPLOT only allows clustered or stacked bar charts. Neither of those is what you show as the desired output where person #1 is on the left, and person #2 is on the right.

If you want clustered or stacked bar charts, then yes this is possible.

--
Paige Miller
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could you please help me with the procedure which creates the desired output?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

As I said, SGPLOT cannot produce the output you asked for.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

@Babloo wrote:

Could you please help me with the procedure which creates the desired output?

Could you please provide some example data in the form of a data step so we can actually test code with data?

OR reference a SAS supplied data set in the SASHELP library that may be able to demonstrate similar data types and desired behavior for that data set.

You desired output picture makes me suspect SGPANEL might be possible but without data to test I'm afraid that's as far as I want to go.

JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11
The data is in their code in the original post. I made the graph in SGPLOT in another reply if you want to see it.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Thank you for the code. Is there any way that you can produce a similar
chart in Proc report or proc tabulate?
Reeza
Super User

@Babloo SGPLOT is included in SAS BASE, you should be able to run @JeffMeyers code without issues. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I am afraid I would have to disagree with you there.  Whilst the base plot would not do what is required, there is nothing to say that you cannot overplot each.  So essentially you would create a four group formatted value:

Wendy, Average talk time = 1

Wendy, Average ACW = 2

Johny, Average talk time = 4

Johny, Average ACW = 5

Then you would graph this based on a non displayed X Axis, with values = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6

At position x=3 you would draw a refence line.

You woul dneed to fiddle a bit with the legend, maybe just text draw the two bits.

@Babloo:

Check here: http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/

There are thousands of examples of all types of graphs - bookmark that page as its the best reference for graphing.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With a different data structure, proc gchart (as used by the bar chart wizard in EG) can produce something similar:

data have;
infile cards dsd dlm=' ';
input person :$50. type :$20. value :commax20.;
cards;
"Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983)" avg_talk_time 116,3953488
"Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983)" avg_acw_time 290,4883721
"Verhaeghe, Johny (E002902)" avg_talk_time 86,66666667
"Verhaeghe, Johny (E002902)" avg_acw_time 2,333333333
;
run;

PROC GCHART DATA=have
;
  VBAR 
   person
 /
  SUMVAR=value
  GROUP=type
  CLIPREF
    SPACE=0
FRAME  TYPE=SUM
  COUTLINE=BLACK
  RAXIS=AXIS1
  MAXIS=AXIS2
PATTERNID=MIDPOINT
;
run;

In the wizard, the diagram column is person, bars are grouped by type, and value is used as "sum of".

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thank you for the code. Is there any way that we try with proc freq except the coloring part? I just noticed that I do not licensed for graphical procedures.

Reeza
Super User

SGPLOT does not require a SAS/GRAPH license and is more powerful.

@Babloo wrote:

Thank you for the code. Is there any way that we try with proc freq except the coloring part? I just noticed that I do not licensed for graphical procedures.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I received the following error message after executing the proc sgplot code. Is that not a license issue?

53         proc sgplot data=plot;
ERROR: The SAS/GRAPH product with which SGPLOT (2) is associated is either not licensed for your system or the product license has 
       expired. Please contact your SAS installation representative.
ERROR: Bad product ID for procedure SGPLOT.
JeffMeyers
Barite | Level 11

Here's how I made it with SGPLOT.  Just had to change your dataset around a touch.

data test;
;
run; 

set test;
run;

data plot;
    set temp;
    length category $100.;
    category='Average Talk Time Answered Calls';time=Avg_Talk_Time_Answered_Calls;output;
    category='Average ACW Time Answered Calls';time=Avg_ACW_Time_Answered_Calls;output;
run;

ods graphics / reset width=10in;
title 'Avg Talk Time (sec), ACW Talk Time (sec) Calls Answered';
proc sgplot data=plot;
     vbar name / response=time group=category groupdisplay=cluster grouporder=descending;
     keylegend / position=topright location=inside down=2 title='';
     refline 'Van der Haeghen, Wendye (E003983)' / axis=x discreteoffset=0.5 lineattrs=(color=black pattern=1);
     yaxis min=0 max=350 values=(0 to 350 by 50) grid gridattrs=(color=black pattern=solid) display=(nolabel) offsetmin=0 offsetmax=0;
     xaxis display=(nolabel) offsetmin=0.3 offsetmax=0.3;
run;

SGPlot.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation