BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Clary_CO
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am creating a horizontal stacked bar chart with percentage on the x-axis and supply item on the y-axis where each segment of the bar shows on-hand supply of that item (length of time before factory runs out of item, 4 groups = 0 days, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days). Reporting of supply data is optional, so different supply items may have different sample sizes. I would like to include the sample size for the number of factories represented in each full bar (sum the number of factories across the 4 possible segments of each bar). Because this is a stacked bar chart with 4 groups included in each bar, the datalabel option displays 4 columns summarizing sample size for each. I tried to force SAS to include sample size for just one of the 4 segments by setting 3 values to missing but missing values are still displayed (see photo). Based on the photo shown, I would like to keep the "0 days" column (and will rename "Number of Factories"). Is there a way to 1) suppress datalabel columns where values are "." or 2) apply a where statement to datalabel (such as, datalabel=num_factories(where supply_length='0 days') or 3) create and display another summary variable that sums supply_count across the 4 segments (supply_count/num_factories=percent). The code used to create the example chart is displayed here:

proc sgplot data=test dattrmap=attrmap;

hbar supply / response=percent group=supply_length groupdisplay=stack attrid=myid datalabel=fac_count datalabelpos=right nooutline;

keylegend /title='On-hand supply availability';

xaxis grid values=(0 to 100 by 10) label="Percentage";

yaxis discreteorder=data label="Supply Item";

run;

Supply availability stacked bar chart example.jpg

Dataset example stacked bar.jpg

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. Read the documentation for the KEYLEGEND statement. Use the NAME= option to specify the statements that you want to appear in the legend. You might also need to use the NOAUTOLEGEND option:

proc sgplot NOAUTOLEGEND ...;
hbar supply / name="bar" ...;

keylegend "bar" / ...;p
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I suggest you use the YAXISTABLE statement to display the sample size and any other statistics.

Here's an example.

Clary_CO
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you! Just tried the yaxistable statement with nomissingchar option and get the N I wanted (thanks!), however, the legend disappears and I get the error message "DISCRETELEGEND statement with DISPLAYCLIPPED=FALSE is getting clipped. The legend will not be drawn." I tried adding the discretelegend option and now have 2 legends displayed. Do you know how to maintain the original legend on bottom once the yaxistable statement is added?

Legend.jpg

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. Read the documentation for the KEYLEGEND statement. Use the NAME= option to specify the statements that you want to appear in the legend. You might also need to use the NOAUTOLEGEND option:

proc sgplot NOAUTOLEGEND ...;
hbar supply / name="bar" ...;

keylegend "bar" / ...;p
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation