BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I am trying to use SasPy, I have configured it correctly (as far as i can tell) by modifying sascfg.py, but when I run the following code I get a Java error. 

Here are the machine specs:

- Java version : "1.6.0_45"

- SAS: 9.4_M2

- Python 3.6, Anaconda distribution

Is this java related - i.e. does SasPy have some minimum Java requirements ? Or is there some other issue that I'm missing?

import saspy
sas = saspy.SASsession(cfgname='winlocal')

Java Error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sas/services/connection/ConnectionFactoryException
at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2531)
at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Class.java:2774)
at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1663)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.getMainMethod(LauncherHelper.java:494)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:486)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sas.services.connection.ConnectionFactoryException
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
6 more
Exception in thread "main"

3 REPLIES 3
shayne
SAS Employee

The type of error returned for an unsupported Java version would be something like this:

>>> sas = saspy.SASsession(cfg='winlocal')
Using SAS Config named: winlocal
Java Error:
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: pyiom/saspy2j : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

The type of error you're getting:

Java Error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sas/services/connection/ConnectionFactoryException

indicates an issue with the class paths to the jars rather than the version of Java.

Verify that the class paths in the sascfg.py file are correct. The default paths to the jars under the SASDeploymentManager install directory included in the file almost certainly need to be updated for the maintenance release of SAS running at your site. For example, I had to update mine to reference the correct deploywiz__<version>__ for my SAS release as follows:

# build out a local classpath variable to use below for Windows clients
cpW  =  "C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94502__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.svc.connection.jar"
cpW += ";C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94502__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\log4j.jar"
cpW += ";C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94502__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.security.sspi.jar"
cpW += ";C:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94502__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.core.jar" 
MDaniel
Obsidian | Level 7

I think sascfg.py is configured correctly, this is then entire contents of the file:

SAS_config_names=['winlocal']

SAS_config_options = {'lock_down': False,
'verbose' : True
}

SAS_output_options = {'output' : 'html5'}

cpW = "D:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.svc.connection.jar"
cpW += ";D:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\log4j.jar"
cpW += ";D:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.security.sspi.jar"
cpW += ";D:\\Program Files\\SASHome\\SASDeploymentManager\\9.4\\products\\deploywiz__94472__prt__xx__sp0__1\\deploywiz\\sas.core.jar"
cpW += ";D:\\Anaconda3\\envs\\prod1\\Lib\\site-packages\\saspy\\java\\saspyiom.jar"

winlocal = {'java' : 'D:\\Program Files\\SASHOME\\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\\9.4\\jre\\bin\\java',
'encoding' : 'windows-1252',
'classpath' : cpW
}

All files in the cpW dictionary exist at that path. The path in winlocal points to the folder where java.exe and java.dll are located (they are actually in the "bin" folder, but it seems adding "java" at the end is necessary). I tried adding ".exe." and I received the same error. 

sastpw
SAS Employee

Hi there. I have only just started looking at these posts on Communities. I've only gotten Issues through my saspy Github site till now.

As it turns out, Java 6 (1.6) is too old to work with saspy. I've hit this issue a few times with other customers and getting a more current version of Java (Java 8  is the 'Current' one if you go to java.com to download) has resolved the problem each time.

And, yes, your config appears perfectly reasonable. I think it is just the old Java.

Tom

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation