BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

If I start a SAS Workspace object, I can name it:

var ws = new SAS.Workspace{Name = "SASWS_0"};

Then, if I need to search through the processes running on the machine, I can find all instances of SAS using the following:

var sasProcs = Process.GetProcessesByName("sas");

If sasProcs has 10 entries, how can I get the one associated with the ws object? Currently, I need to check the process MainWindowHandle to check if it is a 0 to find the workspace but I don't think that is the best way to handle it (pun intended).

https://github.com/savian-net
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Alan,

i would query the workspace for the automatic macro variable "SYSJOBID". This is the process id of your SAS process. With the PID it is easy to find that process in your operating system.

Best Regards

Andreas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Alan,

i would query the workspace for the automatic macro variable "SYSJOBID". This is the process id of your SAS process. With the PID it is easy to find that process in your operating system.

Best Regards

Andreas

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Andreas. When I start the Workspace, how do I know what PID it is running under? If I have the process Windows, how do I get to the Workspace object? Either one should allow the meeting of the 2 but I am missing something here. I may have it in some old code but have not searched through everything.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11
Ahh, never miind, I see what you are saying. Let me get back.
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

There is probably a better way but this worked. I wrote an extension method in case it is needed:

public static Dictionary<string, string> GetAutoVars(this Workspace ws)
        {
            try
            {
                var lang = ws.LanguageService;
                lang.LineSeparator = "\r\n";
                var code = string.Join(Environment.NewLine, "OPTIONS PAGESIZE=MAX; %PUT --BEGIN--; %PUT _ALL_; %PUT --END--;");
                lang.Submit(code);

#pragma warning disable CS0219
                const LanguageServiceCarriageControl cc = new LanguageServiceCarriageControl();
                const LanguageServiceLineType lt = new LanguageServiceLineType();
                #pragma warning restore CS0219

lang.FlushLogLines(100, out Array carriage, out Array lineTypes, out Array lines);
                var lineList = lines.OfType<string>().ToList();
                var start = lineList.IndexOf("--BEGIN--");
                var finish = lineList.IndexOf("--END--");
                var recs = lineList.Skip(start + 1).Take(finish - start - 1).Select(p => p.Replace("AUTOMATIC", string.Empty).Trim().Split(' ', 2)).ToList();
                var autoVars = recs.ToDictionary(p => p[0].ToString(), p => p.Length == 2 ? p[1]?.ToString() : null);
                return autoVars;
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                throw ex;
            }
        }
AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Alan, i guess you also query your SAS Workspace for data. With the SAS OleDB Driver it is just a simple SQL-query against the SAS internal dictionary tables (also available in the SASHELP Library):

select name, value from dictionary.macros;

or

select name, value from sashelp.vmacro;
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

There is another way to get this without submitting code or querying for macro variables.

The process ID is among the values available from IHostSystem, which you can get to from IUtilities, which you can get from the Workspace.

// -- given a SASWorkspace ws
//----- get utilities interface
IUtilities iUtil=ws.Utilities;

//----- get HostSystem interface
IHostSystem iHostSystem=iUtil.HostSystem;

//----- get SAS version, process ID, and other info - in softwareInfo array
Array softwareInfo, hardwareInfo;
iHostSystem.GetInfo(out softwareInfo, out hardwareInfo);

Some secrets for decoding are in Peter Eberhardt's paper.

This would probably perform faster...even if it's a little convoluted.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content! Submit your proposals before Sept 16. Accepted presenters get amazing perks to attend the conference!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation