BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all. I am thinking this may be a config issue. When trying to register a client for Viya, I get the above error (I am following this document https://developer.sas.com/reference/auth/#register)

I am not sure if perhaps there was a deployment or config step left or what, and the logs are extremely unhelpful. Anyone run into this, maybe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok so...an update on this: it appears that the problem was down to a slight difference in URL for the AWS server on the private subnet. One the admins lucked into trying the client registration with a different URL....hey presto it works.

Never in a million years would that have occurred to me as the source of the problem!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
joeFurbee
Community Manager

Hi @klay_martens,

Can you provide the call you made when you received the error? What method did you use to attempt the registration? cURL? Postman, something else?

Also, feel free to follow the instructions in my blog post on the same subject

Thanks,

Joe

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XL, SAS Innovate 2024 Recap
Wednesday, May 15, 2024, at 10 a.m. ET | #SASBowl

klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Joe,

I tried with both CURL and PostMan - same error both times...

This is the request I am using to generate the token (which works)

curl -k -X POST "<url>/SASLogon/oauth/clients/consul?callback=false&serviceId=app" \
-H "X-Consul-Token: <token>"

Then the registration post fails:

curl -k -v -X POST "<url>/SASLogon/oauth/clients" \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-H "Authorization: Bearer <access token from step 1>" \
-d '{
"client_id": "mdsnew",
"client_secret": "itsnotasecret",
"scope": ["openid","SASScoreUsers"],
"authorized_grant_types": ["password"],
"redirect_uri": "urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob", "access_token_validity": 43199 }'

This kicks back the following reply:

> Content-Length: 259
>
* upload completely sent off: 259 out of 259 bytes
< HTTP/1.1 500
< Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 05:47:29 GMT
< Server: Apache/2.4
< SAS-Service-Response-Flag: true
< Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, must-revalidate
< Pragma: no-cache
< Expires: 0
< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000 ; includeSubDomains
< X-Frame-Options: DENY
< Content-Type: application/vnd.sas.error+json; version=2;charset=UTF-8
< X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
< X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
< Vary: User-Agent
< Connection: close
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked
<
* Closing connection 0
{"errorCode":1008,"message":"A data error occurred that prevented the successful completion of the operation.","details":["traceId: ed44cc0ad1c3a263","path: /SASLogon/oauth/clients"],"remediation":null,"links":[],"version":2,"httpStatusCode":500}

If I access the server with the URL and traceId above, I get

<oauth>
<error_description>Full authentication is required to access this resource</error_description>
<error>unauthorized</error>
</oauth>
Log files on the server are super unhelpful as well - this is from /opt/sas/viya/config/var/log/saslogon/default/sas-saslogon_*.log.
Not sure if we can find more details elsewhere? Its a bit of a frustrating error!
021-02-19 07:47:30.006 ERROR 8733 --- [-auto-1-exec-17] com.sas.commons.rest.ExceptionLog        : service [ed44cc0ad1c3a263] org.springframework.dao.EmptyResultDataAccessException: Incorrect result size: expected 1, actual 0
I am pretty sure I am submitting the request correctly - thinking there might be a config problem somewhere...

klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok so...an update on this: it appears that the problem was down to a slight difference in URL for the AWS server on the private subnet. One the admins lucked into trying the client registration with a different URL....hey presto it works.

Never in a million years would that have occurred to me as the source of the problem!

joeFurbee
Community Manager

Glad it worked out @klay_martens. Let us know if you're working on anything interesting. We're always on the lookout for compelling use cases to share.

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XL, SAS Innovate 2024 Recap
Wednesday, May 15, 2024, at 10 a.m. ET | #SASBowl

bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @klay_martens ,

Ik get the same error as you:

{"errorCode":1008,
"message":"A data error occurred that prevented the successful completion of the operation.",
"details":["traceId: 06902c391b830125",
"path: /SASLogon/oauth/clients"],
"remediation":null,
"links":[],
"version":2,
"httpStatusCode":500
}

and I am also running on AWS. Can you share what you changed to make it work?

- Bart

klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

There were two URL's we could use to access the service. Client registration only worked on one of them. This may be the same as your current issue, or there may be something else wrong.

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I am having this issue. Your solution mentions two urls, which is the other one? Thanks in advance.

klay_martens
Fluorite | Level 6

So I think you need to be sure you are using the right client. As I understand it, this is caused by a multi tenant install, so that was the 2 URL's - had to be sure that the correct one was used to register the client. This issue does not show itself on a single tenant installation.

brendanb
Obsidian | Level 7

Aha!, I was using tenant specific URL, removed tenant and voila. Thank you

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation