BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently reading SAS tables using DbCommand.ExecuteReader with CommandType.TableDirect.

Is this the fastest way to read data?

Thanks

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

If possible, switch to .NET Core 3.1.1. OleDb is supported on .NET Core 3+. Why? It is a lot faster than Framework and you will probably get an intrinsic boost. Plus, Core is the way to go for all future stuff as well.

Take a look at this SO article:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40718537/how-to-convert-idatareader-into-stream-in-c-sharp

Specifically,

public IEnumerable<Order> GetOrders()
{
   IDbCommand cmd = ...  <<build your command here>> ...
   using(var rdr = cmd.ExecuteDataReader())
   {
      while(rdr.Read())
      {
          Order order = new Order {Id=rdr.GetDecimal(1), Name=rdr.GetString(2)};
          yield return order;
      }
   }
}

I may be able to test something but I am pretty busy right now. I think switching to Core is needed unless there is something compelling keeping you away. I have been using Core for a long time and honestly, Core 3.1 is fantastic.

https://github.com/savian-net

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

I'll suspect XMLs to be faster if you have them. But with sas7bdat, maybe you can have a look at these papers: SESUG paper SAS Support and Blog.

- Cheers -

Ksharp
Super User

Maybe @ChrisHemedinger could give you a hand.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

It depends on the dimensions of the table and whether you're reading it as a bulk set or paging in across groups of observations.

I have a simple example in the SASHarness application in GitHub.  If you don't need all the data at once, I suggest applying data set options like FIRSTOBS, OBS=, KEEP and/or DROP, and WHERE= to limit the data that SAS will return.  This is assuming that you are connecting to a SAS session to read this data.  The SAS data providers will read the entire row, so wider data is naturally slower to read.  You can limit this if you don't need all columns by applying KEEP or DROP when you open the data.

If reading sas7bdat files directly using the SAS Local OLE DB provider (no SAS session), then options are more limited, I think.  I have a Windows PowerShell example that you may be able to adapt.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If you don't have SAS software licensed, you may try to integrate the following command-line tool and MIT-licensed C library into your C# code

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks to everyone for your speedy replies. There doesn't seem any obvious alternative to what I'm already doing.

I have been using the Local provider with the ADO .Net recipe referenced in one of the replies for several years now, but one of our clients has complained of slow reading with large datasets. However, the reading from the SAS file is just one part of the overall process so I will go and do some further investigation of the whole process and see where the bottlenecks are.

Thanks again for everyone's interest..

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I have a lot of C# around SAS. Here is a method to handle the read. I would defer to Chris H.'s suggestions and drop/keep as many variables as you can. Contact me directly for a dll if needed. The below is in Framework: I have not converted to Core as of yet. OleDb is in flux on core and I haven't looked at latest info.

public DataTable GetDataSet(string sasLibrary, string dataset)
{
OleDbConnection sas = null;
DataTable dt = new DataTable(dataset);
try
{
sas = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=SAS.LocalProvider.1; Data Source=" + sasLibrary);
sas.Open();
OleDbCommand sasCommand = sas.CreateCommand();
sasCommand.CommandType = CommandType.TableDirect;
sasCommand.CommandText = dataset;
OleDbDataReader sasRead = sasCommand.ExecuteReader();
dt.Load(sasRead);
sas.Close();
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
sas.Close();
string errMessage = "Unable to get the SAS dataset. Library: " + sasLibrary + ", DataSet: " + dataset + ", " +
ex.TargetSite.Name;
HandleError(MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().Name, ex);
}
finally
{
sas.Close();
}
return dt;
}

public DataTable GetSasDataSetMetadata(string sasLibrary, string dataset)
{
try
{
sas = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=sas.LocalProvider; Data Source=" + sasLibrary);
sas.Open();
DataTable dt = sas.GetSchema("Columns");
DataView dv = dt.DefaultView;
dv.RowFilter = "TABLE_NAME = '" + dataset.ToUpper() + "'";
sas.Close();
return dv.ToTable();
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
HandleError(MethodBase.GetCurrentMethod().Name, ex);
return null;
}
}

keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks - this is exactly what I'm already doing, but exposing the DataReader rather than pre-reading into a table.

I think this is safer and less memory intensive for large tables.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

What are you using for .NET? Is it Framework or Core and what version,please.

keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

.Net Framework 4.6.1

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

If possible, switch to .NET Core 3.1.1. OleDb is supported on .NET Core 3+. Why? It is a lot faster than Framework and you will probably get an intrinsic boost. Plus, Core is the way to go for all future stuff as well.

Take a look at this SO article:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40718537/how-to-convert-idatareader-into-stream-in-c-sharp

Specifically,

public IEnumerable<Order> GetOrders()
{
   IDbCommand cmd = ...  <<build your command here>> ...
   using(var rdr = cmd.ExecuteDataReader())
   {
      while(rdr.Read())
      {
          Order order = new Order {Id=rdr.GetDecimal(1), Name=rdr.GetString(2)};
          yield return order;
      }
   }
}

I may be able to test something but I am pretty busy right now. I think switching to Core is needed unless there is something compelling keeping you away. I have been using Core for a long time and honestly, Core 3.1 is fantastic.

keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the tip Alan. SAS data is just one part of a data reading component, which we have already partially migrated to .Net Core. OleDb wasn't available at the time in .Net Core. We'll definitely look at that soon.

Why do you think it is faster when it is still using SAS's OleDB component?

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

OleDb support in Core was a hot topic for a number of shops migrating from Framework to Core due to things like Access DB. It was added in in May 2019 and was put into Core 3.0 in Sept as a release. 

I cannot say for sure that it will be faster. It requires testing. Heck, it may not work but give it a try in a small, isolated test project.

You are welcome to reach out to me directly as well. If I get a chance, I will try and test on my own. 

keV
Calcite | Level 5 keV
Calcite | Level 5

Yep, we've been waiting for the OleDb support. Hopefully we'll find some time to address it shortly.  Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

This works in Core 3.1.1 with nuget System.Data.OleDb and SAS Provider for OleDb 9.48. Solution attached:

static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("Starting test...");
            var dt = ReadSasDataset(@"z:\scratch", "shoes");
        }

private static DataTable ReadSasDataset(string sasLibrary, string dataset)
        {
            DataTable dt = new DataTable(dataset);
            try
            {
                sas = new OleDbConnection(@"Provider=SAS.LocalProvider.1; Data Source=" + sasLibrary);
                sas.Open();
                OleDbDataReader sasRead = sasCommand.ExecuteReader();
                dt.Load(sasRead);
                sas.Close();
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                sas.Close();
                string errMessage = "Unable to get the SAS dataset. Library: " + sasLibrary + ", DataSet: " + dataset + ", " +
                    ex.TargetSite.Name;
            }
            finally
            {
                sas.Close();
            }
            return dt;
        }

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 7 in conversation