BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

I  have question - i am not sure even this is feasible,

if purpose of server is to execute just batch jobs using IBM Tivoli, do we require metadata server install/configured with sasapp server OR we can be running without SAS Metadata Server? 

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you've defined any SAS libraries in SAS metadata that you also want to use in batch mode (making them pre-assigned allows this) then you can't avoid having a SAS metadata server running to provide these.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

May I ask why?

Do you plan to have a SAS installation without a metadata server?

And what would you gain?

We are using Tivoli at our site. We're deploying SAS job flows in SMC, and let Tivoli call the as Tivoli Jobs.

Works fine, except that SMC create new script names with each deployment (in Linus/UNIX only, not in Windows).

Connected to the discussion on libraries, you may also have tied resources to metadata authorizations, like access to a database account.

Data never sleeps
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Thank you so much all for input. 

As I said earlier, just thinking if there is any way to use just required SAS components for batch jobs without metadata server, have less number of machine running. Just trying to understand if this is something feasible.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

First of all, the metadata server does not have to be on a separate server. Our data warehouse runs on one server instance, Compute, Midtier and Metadata all in one.

You can run SAS jobs without access to the metadata server, but as soon as you need to use an object bound to a metadata entry, your job will fail.

And you will be forced to keep the non-metadata setup synchronized with your metadata-driven setup (e.g. if the physical directory name of a library changes in metadata, you need to repeat the same in your batch autoexec.sas).

This is all avoided by using the BatchServer/sasbatch.sh within your server context.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Yes you can run batch jobs with using metadata server even if it is installed.
This is the common practice at many places.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation