BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cstegeman
Fluorite | Level 6

Can I use Proc S3 or some other means to access On Premise S3 storage?  We have S3 storage in our own servers - and use a 'REST Endpoint' to access the data with an Access Key ID and Secret Key.  I was also trying to do something similar with filename - but haven't had much luck.  (I'm using SAS 9.4 M6, but also can access as SAS Viya (9.5 maybe?) if there is a solution over there.

filename _S3File URL 's3stuff.mysite.com/data';

Seems like the 'Region' option makes the proc S3 not able to configure the actual endpoint and force you only into AWS cloud servers?  Seems like mounting to the S3 storage might be an option, but I don't have admin access to either our on premise SAS servers or the S3 storage.S3, AWSS3, AWS

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Moved to Architecture, hoping you'll get an answer there. 

jeclev
SAS Employee

This feature was added to proc s3 in Viya 4, and is referred to as "custom regions".

To use a custom region, first you define the custom region by providing network connection information with REGION statement and then refer to it using the REGION= option of proc s3.

For example, this will create an S3 connection to BackBlaze B2, an S3-compatible storage system:

proc s3;
region add host="s3.us-west-002.backblazeb2.com"
           name="us-west-002"
           sslrequired replace;
run;

proc s3 keyid="myb2keyid"
        secret="myb2secretaccesskey"
        region="us-west-002";
list "/myb2bucket";
run;

Note that some S3 clones may not behave correctly, and proc S3 may or may not handle API implementation differences.

Doc for the region statement:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_010/proc/p04qps86kvhp0in12g3jy96hm97x.htm