BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

My theory (yet to be proven) is that something in the email notifications is triggering this (since you can "Like" a message from a link in the email). I've removed that button from the email notices...for now. We'll see if this addresses it.

No further automatic likes for me today. 

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

I've removed that button from the email notices...for now. We'll see if this addresses it.

The ten most recent likes given by gbatista came after this change.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
I see that. I'm tracking this with our platform vendor. Thanks for all of the info!
SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

think we have this Like thing licked now. But you tell me.

I removed all "Give Likes" actions from the email notification templates. (There was one straggler since the last update.) I haven't seen any "Likes" from the account in question since then. (Unfortunately we lose the convenience of a single-click Like from your email.)

Explanation: with email systems performing more anti-phishing processing before a message hits your inbox, some of these systems (apparently) follow the links to verify they are legit. (That doesn't seem like a sound practice to me...but whatever.) The Like link in an email will apply the Like even without you logging in. I noticed that this user in particular logs in from one geographic region, but all of these "automatic likes" are coming in from another region (Portland, OR). This leads me to believe that their email-anti-phish service is based out of there, and we were seeing the result of this vigorous check.

There were multiple user accounts here that seemed to trigger the "automatic likes", some more than others but the difference is probably due to their subscribed notifications.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 7 in conversation