BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
boring100
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I need advise for data Migration from SAS 9.3 (AIX 7.1) to linux 7.X on SAS Grid 94 m6. Current AIX is a standalone SAS 9.3 server. Currently in the process of Migrating the Programs and applications to the Linux Grid Env. What will be the best methods to Migrate the Programs and data/Applications?
What changes will I have to make to the Programs also as they are planning to run them from the Command line, so that they can execute on the Grid?
Also if there are shell scripts what changes will i need to make to them so they can execute on the Linux Grid? we have about 180 TB of data and it seems we need to convert the sas data sets from AIX to Linux format. Also its a tedious task. Any input is appreciated. thanks in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you checked out the Migration Focus Area? - https://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/

There are various ways of migrating data including PROC CPORT/CIMPORT, PROC MIGRATE, PROC UPLOAD amongst others. Having SAS/CONNECT on both SAS installations can aid data migration as it can seamlessly convert your data on-the-fly while copying using the MIGRATE or UPLOAD procedures, copying and converting whole libraries with just one statement.

SAS programs are just text files so no special conversion is necessary. Of course all programs need to be tested on the new platform to ensure they work and give the same results.

I suspect your shell scripts will need significant changes. A lot depends on whether you are implementing a different folder structure on the new platform or not. Also going from non-grid to grid will impose changes. 

boring100
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks SASKiwi- I tried to look for information on the provided link, but could not really find answer to my question. would you please point me to relevant url? 

Thanks,

Boring.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@boring100  - What question is that exactly? Your original post contained many questions.

boring100
Fluorite | Level 6

hi SASKiwi,

My main questions is for data conversion into the Linux format. We have been advised by SAS professional services that we need to have a "staging area" for this activity,   we will convert data into Linux format in staging area and then ,move data to target.  But In your posts, you have mentioned that we don't need to have staging areas and that we can directly convert and move data into target directories on Linux. can you give me some examples or sample code to use to do this?

Thanks,

Boring. 

doug_sas
SAS Employee

If you have SAS/CONNECT on both deployments (you do for 9.4M6 since you have Grid), you can use PROC UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD which will convert data set contents from source to target format as it moves the data between systems. You can get more information in the Data Transfer Services section of the SAS/CONNECT User's Guide.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation