BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
k4minou
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Lately we got an update of Windows 10, from V1703 to V1809.

After this update, we have noticed that our SAS projects started to be randomly corrupted.

Is there any issues with SAS EG on Windows V1809?

Thanks in advance for reading

P.S.: SAS Support thinks that the corrupted projects could be made by the antivirus andI do not understand the answer. Because before the Windows update, the antivirus is the same (idem for their rules), and the SAS projects are not corrupted. The SAS projects start to be corrrupted only after the Windows update.

So there is no way for me to look toward the antivirus...

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What version of EG are you using? Where do you store your EG projects - on a local or network drive?

I suggest you turn on EG logging and review the log when a project is corrupted.

k4minou
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

The version of SAS EG is 7.11 (7.100.1.2711) (64 bits)

All the projects are stored on network drive.

The main problem is after a corruption, the binaries .egp is still openable; without any errors popped nor warnings.

The only thing I only noticed is : the rate of deleting file in the .egp (.zip) is also random. When it's low, I can still restore some of my codes, but when it's too high, there is no way for me to restore.

Everything worked fine before the last windows update to V1809. For me, there is something related to this update.

Before this update, the environnement is the same : antivirus (sames rules), network disk etc... Without any corruptions.

So why, after the windows update, admins start to think that's because of the antivirus? And not because of the V1809; something in this reasoning is not logical to me

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I always try to avoid working with projects on a network share. I copy the project from the share to my PC, work on it, and then copy it back out to the share. EG has a habit of corrupting .egp files if the connection to the location is not 100% reliable.

Storing a project in Files in the workspace server and working from there can also cause damaged .egp files if there's an interruption of the network connection.

So your "upgrade" (in quotes because it's Windows, after all) might have caused a tiny iffiness in your network connections (e.g. connection is dropped after inactivity, then reinstated transparently - more or less - on demand) that leads to the destruction of the .egp file.

k4minou
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your reply 😃

I actually hate the environnement on my current mission 😕 But as you know I have to deal with what I have, even the worst...

As we dont have any SAS admin here (only regular Windows admins who do not have any clue on how SAS work ofc, otherwise it would be too much easy...) I try to have some good advices to point them on the good direction.

Because I do not want them to break everything

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Have them look if Windows somehow lays dormant the connection to a share after a period of inactivity.

But my first advice would be to not work with a project stored on a network share. Copy to local, work on it, copy back to remote. EG does have its quirks with remotely stored project files.

And make sure you have the current EG version (7.15 HF8); there have been issues with storing projects that have been fixed.

k4minou
Obsidian | Level 7

I will ask them to update the SAS EG first thank you

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The latest EG version is 8.2 and it is a complete re-write of EG 7. I'm using it myself and it is pretty good. Could be worth trying that. Also as I mentioned, turning on EG logging could provide some insights into your corruption problem.

k4minou
Obsidian | Level 7

the admin is updating to the v7.15, so wait and see... 😃

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation