BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Has this turned into a history lesson in old editors?

Speaking of the SAS program editor,  why would you want the enter key to split the line when you just trying to get to the next line?  The big problem with the "enhanced editor" or EG or SAS/Studio over DMS editor is that it is not really part of SAS.  You can not use SAS code to create command macros for them.  I have command macro to generate a macro call from the source of any autocall macro. Or insert the list of variables from a SAS dataset.

WYLBUR was a wonderful program editor.  I am convinced that the CHANGE command could not only slice bread but toast it and put the butter on.  I even found a PC version I could run on my IBM 5150.

For the office Christmas party in 1979 someone at my office programmed the ROSCOE editor to run TIC-TAC-TOE including randomly deleting one of the lines in the file it used to pick its moves so it was possible for the kids to sometimes win.

Do you still remember what key on the VT-100 keypad was the Insert Line function in the EDT editor?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@Tom wrote:

Speaking of the SAS program editor,  why would you want the enter key to split the line when you just trying to get to the next line?

For mere cursor movement I use the arrow keys.

I have command macro to generate a macro call from the source of any autocall macro. Or insert the list of variables from a SAS dataset.

That sounds useful. My favorite feature of the Enhanced Editor is the keyboard macro functionality.

Do you still remember what key on the VT-100 keypad was the Insert Line function in the EDT editor?

I don't think I've ever used the VT-100. My first keyboard was that of a Sharp MZ-3531.

JimLoughlin
Quartz | Level 8
You also get to the old program editor by selecting it on the View menu.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 9 in conversation