BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Boriana
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm running 

proc quantreg

with 2 independent variables over 12555029 cases. 

The error for insufficient memory is appear:

ERROR: Unable to allocate sufficient memory. At least 1177035K bytes were requested, but only
786430K were available. You must either increase the amount of memory available, or
approach the problem differently.

I have 8GB RAM. 

I check memsize and receive the next:

Group=MEMORY
SORTSIZE=268435456
Specifies the amount of memory that is available to the SORT procedure.
SUMSIZE=0 Specifies a limit on the amount of memory that is available for data
summarization procedures when class variables are active.
MAXMEMQUERY=0 Specifies the maximum amount of memory that is allocated for procedures.
MEMBLKSZ=16777216 Specifies the memory block size for Windows memory-based libraries.
MEMMAXSZ=2147483648
Specifies the maximum amount of memory to allocate for using memory-based
libraries.
LOADMEMSIZE=0 Specifies a suggested amount of memory that is needed for executable programs
loaded by SAS.
MEMSIZE=4294967295
Specifies the limit on the amount of virtual memory that can be used during a
SAS session.
REALMEMSIZE=0 Specifies the amount of real memory SAS can expect to allocate.

The option  sasv9.cfg in sas is 6GB. But the same error appear with different sises there.

Do you know that if I increase my RAM the problem will be solved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit SAS? If you are using 32-bit SAS then 2 GB is about the limit it can use because of memory addressing limitations.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The error message says the procedure needs over 11GB of memory to work. So if you have only 8GB of actual memory then it just isn't going to work. I'm not familiar with QUANTREG, but you could experiment with samples of your data rather than the full volume.

Boriana
Obsidian | Level 7

I put additionally 8GB, but error still persist.

By looking in memory occupation in task manager during running of procedure I notice that it occupied only 2GB. The memory size is changed to 12GB in SAS config. But it is not occupied. It should be set memory size by command or something else. SAS is not allocate dedicated RAM for computing.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit SAS? If you are using 32-bit SAS then 2 GB is about the limit it can use because of memory addressing limitations.

Boriana
Obsidian | Level 7

I thing this is 32bit version with some emulation of 64bit, but in core it is 32bit.

My version is 9.4. I use SAS Analytics modules.

The print screen of my version is in picture. But it is written that my version is 32bit.

SAS version.png 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, Windows is 32-bit so SAS has to be too. On Windows 64-bit you can run either 32 or 64 bit SAS.

MargaretC
SAS Employee
Yes, on Windows 64 bit you can run either 32-bit or 64-bit SAS

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation