BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I followed the instructions outlined in https://support.sas.com/kb/40/012.html on setting Java options to -Xmx512M for SAS Deployment Manager.

However, due to the way the SDM works on updating the SAS Java Private Runtime (JRE) to the latest JRE version, it reverts back to -Xmx1024M and it fails.

The first time I start SDM, I provide the location to where the JRE update is located.

INFO: Launcher::Run::start::Run with stdout="C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\privatejre__99573__wx6__xx__sp0__1\bin\java.exe" -Xmx512M "-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\lib\security\jssecacerts" -Xmx512M  -jar "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94588__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\setup.jar" -startuplocation "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4" -configure -javaoptions "-Xmx512M"

SDM automatically closes itself and starts another instance of SDM.  The second instance of SDM consistently fails:

INFO: Launcher::Run::start::Run with stdout="C:\Program Files\SASHome\InstallMisc\SASDeploymentManager\jre\bin\java" -Xmx1024M -jar "C:\Program Files\SASHome\InstallMisc\SASDeploymentManager\deploywiz\setup.jar" -startuplocation "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4" -configure -javaoptions -Xmx512M  -sdmrestartedfromaltlocation -lang en -hotfixdir "C:\SAS HotFixes\JRE_180_332" -partialprompt -responsefile "C:\Program Files\SASHome\InstallMisc\SASDeploymentManager\sasdm.response.txt" 

How can I get the second instance of SDM to configure to use -Xmx512M so I can perform the Private JRE update?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Does making the adjustment in C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\sasdm.ini help?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, for the most part.  But, not to update the SAS Private JRE which requires SDM to be run again second time and is not picking up the change.

This is a snippet of sasdm.ini:

[default]
launchercmd=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products/privatejre__99573__wx6__xx__sp0__1\bin\java.exe
launcherargs=-Xmx512M "-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\lib\security\jssecacerts" -jar "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__94588__prt__xx__sp0__1\deploywiz\setup.jar" -startuplocation "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4" -configure

As you can see, it is defined with -Xmx512M.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
What about the deploywiz.ini in C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products\deploywiz__#####__prt__xx__sp0__1?
--
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have two folders in C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASDeploymentManager\9.4\products.  I modified both deploywiz.ini.  Here is an example for both [win] and [win86]:

[win]
copy1=setup.dat
copy2=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.exe
copy3=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.ini
copy4=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz
copy5=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sas.rutil.jar
copy6=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sas.rutil.nls.jar
copy7=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sastpj.rutil.jar
copy8=<PRIVATEJRE_WIN_PKG>/lib
jre=<PRIVATEJRE_WIN_PKG>/jre.exe
launch=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.exe

launchercmd=../../<PRIVATEJRE_WIN_PKG>/bin/java
launcherargs=-Xmx512M -jar deploywiz/setup.jar

[wx6]
copy1=setup.dat
copy2=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.exe
copy3=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.ini
copy4=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz
copy5=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sas.rutil.jar
copy6=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sas.rutil.nls.jar
copy7=products/securejava__94120__prt__xx__sp0__1/sastpj.rutil.jar
jre=<PRIVATEJRE_WX6_PKG>/jre.exe
launch=<DEPLOYWIZ_PRT_PKG>/deploywiz.exe

launchercmd=../../<PRIVATEJRE_WX6_PKG>/bin/java
launcherargs=-Xmx512M -jar deploywiz/setup.jar

(Off topic: I don't understand this -Xmx1024M and -Xmx512M and why my machine won't take 1024M even though I have 32Gb RAM.  It used to work with 1024 and now I'm being forced to change to 512.)

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Are you saying you did that before and it didn't impact the failure, or that you have now done it and need to test to see if it resolves?

I'm not sure why you would need to reduce the memory request from 1024M to 512M when you have 32GB installed unless most of that is being used.
--
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7
@gwootton wrote:
Are you saying you did that before and it didn't impact the failure, or that you have now done it and need to test to see if it resolves?

I'm not sure why you would need to reduce the memory request from 1024M to 512M when you have 32GB installed unless most of that is being used.

First question:  Yes, I've previously applied SAS Private JRE updates without any type of modifications to -Xmx1024M.  Now, I can't.

Second question: That is the part I do not understand.  I'm not a Java person, unfortunately.

This is the exact error that led to changing from -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M:

INFO: ExeProc::ReadFromPipe=Standard output
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for 1048576KB object heap

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
My first question is whether updating deploywiz.ini with the Xmx512M option fixed your problem, allowing the restarted session to execute successfully.

The "Could not reserve enough space..." error means Java was unable to reserve 1024M of memory for itself. This stack overflow post response talks about why this can happen when you have more than that in terms of free memory:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57128425/java-could-not-reserve-enough-space-for-object-heap-err...
--
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

@gwootton wrote:
My first question is whether updating deploywiz.ini with the Xmx512M option fixed your problem, allowing the restarted session to execute successfully.

No, sir.  It did not.  If it did, I wouldn't be asking here in the group.

CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

@CurtisER wrote:
No, sir.  It did not.  If it did, I wouldn't be asking here in the group.

A point of clarification: It does work for SDM like applying hotfixes.  It does not work for updating SAS Private JRE through SDM.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I would recommend you engage SAS Technical Support. I don't know where else that option could be coming from.
--
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

@gwootton wrote:
I would recommend you engage SAS Technical Support. I don't know where else that option could be coming from.

I have done so.  I will open another ticket.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation