BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I just tried it and ValidateServer works for me with SAS 9.4 M5 on Linux. Mine is a new install rather than an upgrade from 9.4 M4 etc. Are you running ValidateServer on a server or a client?

I have occasionally found (with clients) that an upgrade from an earlier maintenance sometimes fails at the last step and doesn't update the SASVersionedJarRepository (VJR) cache. Perhaps you have class loading issues because of that? I usually notice it when SAS Management Console wont start - see https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Management/I-can-t-Open-SAS-Management-Console-amp-SAS-Data-...

Are you able to run SAS Management Console on the same machine? If not, then it might be a VJR cache issue and you could look at renaming/deleting /opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASVersionedJarRepository/eclipse/com.sas.app.launcher.cacheFile and letting it get recreated on-demand. I have only ever done this on a client machine and not a server. I imagine you may want to schedule some down-time and service restarts if you try it on a server.

acfarrer
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Paul,

This is a fresh install of SAS94M5 just for testing. Validate Server using SASMC works fine in X11 mode. Going thru my archives, I found versions of this going back to SAS93 where I had to populate $CLASSPATH with a directory list supplied by SAS TS.

Do you have $JAVA_HOME or $CLASSPATH set? I may need to do some further Linux configuration.

I have been trying different permutations based on previous versions and have stripped it down to this:

/opt/sas/sashome/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java \
-classpath sas.servermgr.jar com.sas.management.servers.validator.commands.ValidateServer \
-msp "metadataprofile=/home/sas/.SASAppData/MetadataServerProfiles/sasadm_ah194.swa" \
-servername "SASApp - Workspace Server" \
-serverparms "hostid=ahl194" \
-cred "userid=sas password=XXXX domain=DefaultAuth"

I have tried running the above command string from $HOME and from /opt/sas/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4 since there is a ValidateServer.ini there.

Every time, I get the same message :

Error: Could not find or load main class com.sas.management.servers.validator.commands.ValidateServer

Andrew

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Andrew,

I don't have JAVA_HOME or CLASSPATH environment variables set. It simply works for me with the following:

ssh sas@sas94m5server
/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4/ValidateServer -msp "host=sas94m5server port=8561 domain=DefaultAuth userid=sasdemo password=thesecretpassword reposname=Foundation" -sn "SASApp - Logical Workspace Server" -cred "domain=DefaultAuth userid=sasdemo password=thesecretpassword"

... with the output going into /home/sas/.SASAppData/Logs/ValidateServerErrorLog.log

I don't try to invoke it directly with the java command because the ValidateServer script adds lots of additional JRE options. If I run the above but using /bin/sh -x to see the launch command, it is ultimately:

/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java -Dsas.app.class.dirs=/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4 -Dsas.app.class.path=/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4:.:/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4/build -Dsas.app.launch.picklist=/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASPlatformObjectFramework/9.4/validate/picklist -Djava.system.class.loader=com.sas.app.AppClassLoader -Dsas.ext.config=/opt/sas94m5/sashome/sas.java.ext.config -Dsas.app.launch.config=picklist -Dsas.app.repository.path=/opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASVersionedJarRepository/eclipse -cp /opt/sas94m5/sashome/SASVersionedJarRepository/eclipse/plugins/sas.launcher.jar com.sas.management.servers.validator.commands.ValidateServer -msp 'host=sas94m5server port=8561 domain=DefaultAuth userid=sasdemo password=thesecretpassword reposname=Foundation' -sn 'SASApp - Logical Workspace Server' -cred 'domain=DefaultAuth userid=sasdemo password=thesecretpassword'

... so you can see your java command is missing all the options required to launch the utility and find classes using the picklist and the VJR.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 7 in conversation