BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CameronLawson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Is it possible in either SMC or DI to run a metadata bridge export in batch mode?  I can only see the ability to run interactively via the GUI at present.  Does SAS provide any type of command line utility or any information on executing through java?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Smc and di are built in java. Your question on using java is a strange one knowing that.

Possible is some automatizatlion but the major question first is about identification and authentication.

Starting at development there is no real issue about human interaction. There are batch promotion tools.

Uhr what about release management, do you have that?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
CameronLawson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am aware that SMC and DI are both built in Java.  The Metadata bridge product allows export of metadata for tables,columns and associated constraints and indexes matching particular xml schema definitions.  In using both tools I cannot see any way of running an export bridge as a batch process.  When I run the metadata export manually, obviously 1 or more java classes are invoked which is why I asked if anyone has any information on what classes are being called and hopefully, information on the methods of those classes etc.  The SAS Versioned JAR repository is very large so I hope I can get some targeted information.  Javadocs would be great and anyone with experience and samples would be even better.

The batch promotion tools output in a SAS proprietary format which does not meet my requirements.

The reason for the question is that I am defining a solution architecture for a metadata platform (not in SAS) which integrates metadata from multiple platforms (SAP, BOBJ, OBIEE,Tableau, SAS etc.).  The solution should not be dependent on human interaction to manually export the metadata.  It should happen via a scripted process.  My current thinking is to tie the export to our production deployment process via a post commit hook script

Basically, if SAS do not provide any type of CLI or SDK for Metadata Bridges then I will investigate two alternatives;

• Building our own API from the supporting classes if I can find details
  • XSL transformation to CWM / OMG schema definition
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Within the sas integration technologies part there are the parts of metadata structure schemas with all programming interfaces being defined .net and java.

The whole structure of a metadata base is complicated and often full of native features.

This part of an integrated data dictionary did never became standardized with normal rdbms Mdl ddl parts when you would be able to solve that it would be great.

I think the smallest thing you could achieve is some personal dedicated approach.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation