BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Hello All,

When I submit a sasgsub job to one of our two app server contexts, jobname.log file is not getting generated in the grid work directory. I even tried overriding the default grid work directory with a custom one with full control permissions on that folder ( I have full control over the default grid work as well), still that specific file .log alone is not generated. However, the job appears to run and complete successfully. My environment is SAS9.4M5 running on Windows. Also, I don't see this issue on other app server context. I have compared the .cfg files in sasgsub dir of both the server contexts and everything looks good.

Could someone provide any leads on this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks @doug_sas .

The issue was resolved by adding 'modify' and 'write' permissions to SAS grid users on the folder sasconfig\Lev1\SASApp\GridServer\Logs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
doug_sas
SAS Employee

Are there any other files in the work directory such as time.end.xxx or host.<hostname>? If so, that would indicate that the job's script (i.e., sasgrid.cmd) is able to write to the directory. If not, the user may not access to write to the share.

If the files do exist, but the *.log does not, a couple things could be wrong:

1. The processing is not using the logconfig.batch.xml file. This file will route the SAS log to the %SASGRIDWORKDIR%\%SASGRIDBATCHPGM%.log file (i.e., the SAS log in the job directory).
    1. Check the grid_usermods.cfg.cmd file to make sure you are not overriding the LOGCONFIGLOC option.
    2. Check the sasgrid.cmd file to make sure it has not been changed (compare against app server context that does work). Maybe the script is not adding the "-logconfigloc logconfig.batch.xml" option.
  2. The logconfig.batch.xml file is incorrect. Check the logconfig.batch.xml file to make sure it has not changed (compare against app server context that does work). Maybe it is creating the file in the wrong place.

4) Check the grid_usermods.cfg.cmd file to make sure you are not overriding the LOGCONFIGLOC option.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @doug_sas , Thanks for replying.

Other files are generated except the .log. The log file is generated if I submit jobs to same app server context from the server itself using elevated account.

I don't see a grid_usermods.cfg.cmd file in ..\Lev1\AppServer\GridServer\ path. In grid.cfg.cmd, I see this -> set SASLOGCFGFILE=-logconfigloc "%SASGRIDCMDPATH%\logconfig.xml". I'm not sure, how %SASGRIDCMDPATH% is resolved though.

Is there any way to find the value of %SASGRIDCMDPATH%?

Thanks

doug_sas
SAS Employee

It seems like someone has modified the files. In reality, they should only change the grid_usermods.cfg.cmd file. If they added 'set SASLOGCONFIGFILE="%SASGRIDCMDPATH%\logconfig.xml"' then they probably modified the sasgrid.cmd file also and/or deleted the logconfig.batch.xml and logconfig.connect.xml files in the GridServer directory.

Since logconfig.xml is not a config file that SAS ships, I am guessing that it does not create the job logs like the logconfig.batch.xml file does which is why you are not seeing the log output.

You would probably need to find out the reason those files were modified the way they were. By fixing your problem, you may reintroduce a problem the previous changes were meant to fix.

You may want to talk to tech support to have them help sort out this problem.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks @doug_sas .

The issue was resolved by adding 'modify' and 'write' permissions to SAS grid users on the folder sasconfig\Lev1\SASApp\GridServer\Logs.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation