BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Peter_Hong
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone's running into this same issue that when I try to copy something, either a letter or a command or a bunch of things, from my code, SAS would freeze up, be not responding for some time (10-30sec). I tried to look up for similar issues, but only found this back in version 9.1, so I tried the solution to restart my computer and clear out my clipboard, doesn't seem to work. 

Initially it was only my desktop having this issue, now both my laptop and my desktop are having this problem. I have reinstalled windows on both of my devices, doesn't seem to help. Used SAS unicode instead of SAS English, still no good. I suspect it's windows 11 updates but don't have any evidence and solution to this issue. It's kinda driving me nuts every time trying to copy just variable names. 

Please let me know if anyone is having the same issue or know a bypass to this. Many thanks. 

46 REPLIES 46
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest that you would be best to work with SAS Tech Support on this one. What SAS user interface are you copying from? SAS Windowing Environment or Enterprise Guide? What maintenance release of SAS 9.4 are you on? If it is not the latest one - M7 - you could always try upgrading.

Peter_Hong
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, thank you for your reply, I'll try and see if I can switch tag for this post. 

So the SAS I'm using is SAS windowing environment, 1116.PNG

When I open the log, here's the message I get:

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2016 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.4 (TS1M5)
Licensed to CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, Site 70080308.
NOTE: This session is executing on the X64_10PRO platform.

NOTE: Updated analytical products:

SAS/STAT 14.3
SAS/ETS 14.3
SAS/OR 14.3
SAS/IML 14.3
SAS/QC 14.3

NOTE: Additional host information:

X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.22621 Workstation

Because I get my SAS from my University, I have to double check on the upgrade option. 

sasgenie
Fluorite | Level 6

The copy-freezing problem persists with SAS 9.4 M7 in Windows 11.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@sasgenie  - OK, then I repeat my recommendation of opening a track with SAS Tech Support on the problem. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

As a sidenote: historically, Windows (and prior system) releases from Microsoft tended to become really usable and functional with the second service pack (or equivalent update). Windows 11 became available to the public mid-2022, so do not expect it to become viable (and stable for third-party developers like SAS) for production use before at least 2024. Windows 11 is on the bleeding edge of development right now, and you can take that "bleeding" quite literally 😉

Personally, I start to use a particular release of MS software once the next release hits the market. Because then the old release gets only fixes (improving it), while all the "nice" stuff which introduces bugs stains only the new release.

KarynBackus
Calcite | Level 5

And persists in M8 in Windows 11.  

Reeza
Super User

Support Status: Windows 10

SAS® 9.4 TS1M3 and higher is supported on Windows 10. For browser support, refer to Third-Party Software Requirements.

Support Status: Windows 11

SAS® 9.4 TS1M7 and higher is supported on Windows 11. For browser support, refer to Third-Party Software Requirements.

FYI - It appears that M5 is not supported on Windows 11.

https://support.sas.com/supportos/list?requestAction=summary&outputView=sasrelease&sasrelease=9.4&pl...

Peter_Hong
Fluorite | Level 6

Ouch, looks like that's the issue I guess. 

But interesting enough that my version M5 was running fine until the most recent windows 11 update (the one that they introduced explorer tabs), I'll reach out to my IT department and see if they can offer me the M7. Thanks a bunch!  

Reeza
Super User
I think it's one of those things where it may work, but they won't guarantee that it will work.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Peter_Hong wrote:

Ouch, looks like that's the issue I guess. 

But interesting enough that my version M5 was running fine until the most recent windows 11 update (the one that they introduced explorer tabs), I'll reach out to my IT department and see if they can offer me the M7. Thanks a bunch!  

Something else is interfering with the clipboard.

Do you have any other tools designed to work with the clipboard?

Peter_Hong
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't think so, at least to the best of my knowledge, I don't have programs that constantly interferes with my clip board. 

While testing, the issue only comes after I've run the codes, so copying and pasting work smoothly when I open the SAS file. Since the default memsize is only 2GB, I've changed it in the config file to be larger. 

Do you know where or how I can look into clipboard info/status? I'm trying to pinpoint what exactly is causing this issue but not so successful. 

sasgenie
Fluorite | Level 6

I have had the same issue. Even upgraded to 9.4 TS1M7 -- and no, that does not solve the "not responding" problem. This very frustrating when editing code.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Please try the following steps.Perhaps this may mitigate your issue.
1.Configure Windows for performance

2.Enable storage sense and remove temporary files.

( https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-best-settings/  ) 

3.Manually select Virtual memory size.
 Make sure that the size you select is the recommended as the initial size and maximum size of twice the initial size on the C drive.

(https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2021/11/12/how-to-manage-windows-11-virtual-memory)

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 34 likes
  • 14 in conversation