BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ddemilla
Fluorite | Level 6

There is a peculiar Java(TM) Platform SE binary process that can be traced back to SAS web services that is eating up about 60% of our CPU. We have never seen this issue before. We have closed all SAS consoles and even restarted the server, but the Java application starts up again. I am primarily a programmer and not an IT expert so please be patient. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem here will be much appreciated. I will mention that we do have a SAS server setup so outside users can access SAS through Enterprise guide and the Excel plugin. I have also created some very basic reports using Stored Processes and the web application server, but this was months ago and no one is currently using it.

Thank you in advance!

Daniel

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What is your SAS version and maintenance level? There are a number of possible causes for this. If you are running SAS 9.4, the SAS Environment Manager agents can use a significant amount of CPU, particularly if they are not stopped and started in the recommended way.

ddemilla
Fluorite | Level 6

We are running SAS 9.4. I'm not sure what the maintenance level is... can it be determined using proc setinit? The confusion that I am having is that we have never experienced this problem before so we are trying to troubleshoot so that the problem doesn't occur again in the future.

dpage
SAS Employee

you can also use a tool like https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 sysinternals process explorer to find out the full command line of the java process and confirm exactly which JVM it is. (SASServer1, Environment Manager, etc)

ddemilla
Fluorite | Level 6

Using dpage's suggestion, I can look at the command line used to generate the Java.exe. The path associated is:

C:\sas94\sashome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\bin\java.exe

If that helps at all in diognosing the problem.

dpage
SAS Employee
What's the command line associated with the path?
ddemilla
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is an image of the command popup.

Java SAS command.png
dpage
SAS Employee

Yea, that's SASServer1. I'd check the Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/logs/server.log to try and get a better idea of what's going on - server1 can use a great deal of resources while it's starting - but once it reaches steady state it should be fairly low CPU utilization. If for some reason it's crashing, it will constantly be restarted by tanuki and that may be what you're seeing. 

ddemilla
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion dpage! I'll dig into the logs and try to tease out the problem.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation