BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Admins,

Where can I specify to which location SAS utility files will be written?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

This can be placed in the sasv9_usermod.cfg file
Keep it on the line below -WORK

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @SASJR1,

I think you mean the UTILLOC= system option.

SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7
yes Sir
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

This can be placed in the sasv9_usermod.cfg file
Keep it on the line below -WORK

JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Using the UTILLOC system option is the best answer, but there are some additional details to consider:

- My recollection is that the UTILLOC option was originally documented as being used by threaded apps, with non-threaded apps using the WORK library location.  The documentation current says "UTILLOC utility files are primarily used by applications that are enabled for multiple threads of execution".  That indicates to me that WORK might still be used for some items.

- An advantage of UTILLOC is that you can specify multiple locations on multiple disks, which gives much more flexibility in distributing storage use.  

- On some systems, you can separately control where sort work files go.

- It's possible that utility files and your regular work data sets will conspire to make you run out of space.  In that case, one possible solution is to specify the USER= option to store work data sets with no libname to a different location.  This might break programs that explicitly use the WORK library in code.

MargaretC
SAS Employee

You need to understand the storage being used for SAS WORK and UTILLOC.  If the storage is a striped all drives storage array (like most new FLASH storage is), moving UTILLOC from WORK will not help with performance (like it used to with older HDD storage).  I can go into more details if it is needed.

You will need to make sure that both WORK and UTILLOC file systems can achieve at least 150 MB/sec/physical core.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

PROC SORT and PROC SQL will both honor the UTILLOC option.

A separate UTILLOC will only make sense if

- a separate physical location is used (this may also be a separate virtual volume in your SAN; SAN boxes use separate threads for separate volumes, and it may even be on (a) different storage box(es), spreading the load)

- the UTILLOC location is at least as performant as your WORK

In a single-tier (workstation) setup, just use a good SSD for WORK and be done with it.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation