BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Micheal_S
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

My application is having multiple job flows scheduled in Platform Process Manager, these flows executes the jobs in parallel and multiple jobs updates single sas dataset at the same time, so for this purpose we have SAS/Share Server installed but somehow even after I am getting LOCK error on the jobs and they are failing. Can anyone please help me in understanding that what should I check to make this work?

Thanks

Mike

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you replace a dataset completely, it is not available for other accesses at all. SAS/SHARE allows multiple update or append operations, but you can't access a dataset while it is being (re)created.

Micheal_S
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your response Kurt, My process is not creating any new datasets, all of them are existing ones and they are just getting updated with each run.

Micheal_S
Calcite | Level 5

Already existing base sas programs are using PROC SQL and Data steps to do Load append.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Well, if you do

data test;

set test;

run;

This always means that the dataset is completely rewritten, something that causes it to be inaccessible to other processes even when done via SAS/SHARE. Only certain update types can be handled concurrently by the SAS/SHARE server.

And do the jobs all access the libraries with the REMOTE engine and the SERVER= option?

Micheal_S
Calcite | Level 5

Okay let me tell you little history, all these programs are running from past few years in older version of SAS (9.2) and now they all are migrated to SAS 9.4, and there is no change in codes. Individually each and every program is tested and they are perfectly fine but when we execute in parallel it throws error like

ERROR: A lock is not available for REMOLIB.DETAIL.DATA.                                                                 

ERROR: Lock held by process 20022.  

Yes all the jobs access libraries from Remote engine and SAS/SHARE server option.

Thanks

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation