BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anewlevel4u
Fluorite | Level 6

We are getting an error trying to make a connection using SAS ODBC 9.4 from a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.  The connection is to a SAS Share Server and the ODBC connection is coming from Crystal Reports.  The error that is produced in the Crystal reports software is listed below.

--Login failed

--Database Connector Error: 'IM006:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed'

The trace file shows the following error:

[2165030531]:WQEOpen: Winsock getservbyname failed rc = 11004.

[2165030531]:WQEOpen failed: rc -1005 trc 0x2afc.

This error reflects that there is an issue with the services file but we have checked both the locations and the service file matches.  We have tried to make the connection using the DNS Name port connection (servername.__8551) and that fails with the same error.  We have also tried to make an ODBC connection suing the SAS Enterprise Guide and it gets the same error.

The ODBC connection was created using the 32-bit ODBC.

Interesting...we have a web application that uses a DNS Connection String (below) and it works fine.

connString = "Provider=sas.ShareProvider.1;" +

"Data Source=" + appType.ToLower() + "Shr1;" +

"Location=servername;" +

"User ID=" + username.ToLower() + ";" +

"Password=" + userpwd + ";" +

"Mode=Read|Share Deny None";

There are a couple of SAS Support KB articles that are no longer available that appear to contain the error we are getting.

http://support.sas.com/kb/00/714.html

http://support.sas.com/kb/12/626.html

Are there security settings that are being missed in the SAS Cient configuration?  We are at a loss as to why this is happening using the ODBC connections?  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexal
SAS Employee

@anewlevel4u,

Thanks for your response. Can you try to use the server name with no more than 8 characters?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alexal
SAS Employee

@anewlevel4u,

How many characters are in server name?

anewlevel4u
Fluorite | Level 6

There are 15 characters in the server name.

alexal
SAS Employee

@anewlevel4u,

Thanks for your response. Can you try to use the server name with no more than 8 characters?

anewlevel4u
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for you help.  I changed it in the server listing to 8 and then in the configuration for the SAS Share, I put in the whole 15 character server name.

Stig_Eide
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, not sure what you mean by "I changed it in the server listing to 8". What I did, was that I added a shorter entry in the etc\hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on windows) and used that short name instead

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation