BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Avexis
Calcite | Level 5

Good day,

I'm currently working on the software deployment for a customer, that wants the SAS Software deployed to client computers (9.4). For myselfe I'm completely new with the SAS installer. The customer provided us a copy of the depot as well as response file with the components that should be installed.

Basically the installation works like that, the only issue we have is, that the depot is very huge with almost 30 GB, which makes it hard to handle with our software deployment system. Since the actual installation with the response file is a lot smaller I've read the documentations and came across the option to subset the depot, which looks like exaktly what we need to keep the installation sources small to only include the requried sources needed for the installation.

Unfortunatly, what drives me kind of crazy is, that when I'd like to subset the depot, I'm missing 3 components listed in the response file.

- SAS Metadata Bridges (mitibridges)

- SAS Metadata Bridges Plugin for SAS Data Integration Studio (mitidiplug)

- SAS Metadata Bridges Plugin for SAS Management Console (mitismc)

When selecting "subset content orders", platform / operating system and language are clear. I select Windows and the languages I'd like to have included. My issue is in the "by products" part, where I can select between "SAS Foundation products", "Client products" and "SAS foundation and client products". In the next steps where I can select the products, none of the listed above appear in my list to select (no matter what I previously select)

What I checked so far:

- I've created a txt file with: setup.exe -listdepot. I can see the Metadata Bridges there with a + sign (which should mean that its within the order)

- I can see the files within the product_data and products folder

- If I select "Install SAS Foundation and Related Software" within the Setup (which would install the software on the computer *now*), I could select the Metadata Bridges

- If I do a full subset of either above mentioned option (Client Products, SAS Founddation products etc.) with all products "checked" the Metadata Bridge products are missing in the new depot

- Ran the Depotchecker (no issues)

Any help would be appreciated on how I could do a proper subset.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Avexis
Calcite | Level 5

Looks like I have at least found a workaround on my own. It does not solve the base problem, that the software is not selectable while creating a subset, but I got a working installation:

1. Created a Subset with all required components, except for the missing ones.

2. Copied the miti* folders from the original sources "products" folder, into the one of the subset.

3. Checked the XMLs in the "media_data" folder and replaced the lines with my affected products with the line how they are in the original sources like:

Old Line:

<product alt_sku="mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" format="standard" />
New Line:
<product alt_sku="mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" format="standard" skupkg_path="products/mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" />

Had to do this in 3 XML files.

4. Ensured by the "skureq.xml" file in the order_data folder, that all requirements for my components are present (luckily they were).

Done... now the sources are down to ~9 GB and the installation works like a charm.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
You may want to engage technical support here, it doesn't sound like you are missing any steps.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
Avexis
Calcite | Level 5

Looks like I have at least found a workaround on my own. It does not solve the base problem, that the software is not selectable while creating a subset, but I got a working installation:

1. Created a Subset with all required components, except for the missing ones.

2. Copied the miti* folders from the original sources "products" folder, into the one of the subset.

3. Checked the XMLs in the "media_data" folder and replaced the lines with my affected products with the line how they are in the original sources like:

Old Line:

<product alt_sku="mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" format="standard" />
New Line:
<product alt_sku="mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" format="standard" skupkg_path="products/mitibridges__94160__prt__xx__sp0__1" />

Had to do this in 3 XML files.

4. Ensured by the "skureq.xml" file in the order_data folder, that all requirements for my components are present (luckily they were).

Done... now the sources are down to ~9 GB and the installation works like a charm.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please update your post as answered if you are happy with your workaround.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation