BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

Does SAS deployment backup work only with sasadm@saspw user? I am trying to backup with my account which does have administrator role and it doesn't seem to like it. Is the only way to use the sasadm user? What roles should I be granted to take the backups with my account?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I assume you are referring to SAS metadata backups in SMC. Making your user account an unrestricted user would ensure you could do this. Of course you would need to log on to SMC with the SAS admin or install account to make yourself unrestricted.

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @RupaJ

You must use the SAS Administrator account (sasadm@saspw) to run a backup or restore with the Deployment Backup and Recovery Tool.  The same would apply if running a backup using SAS Backup Manager. 

Here is a link to the section in the SAS 9.4 Administration Guide that talks more about this requirement. 

User Credentials for Performing Backups

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks @michele_sas  and @SASKiwi  for your responses. I was referring to the Deployment Backup and Recovery options. 

So I have a basic question. We have IWA configured for our web clients and when I click on the SAS EVM link, it directly logs me in as my account. How do I make the web application ask for username and password when SSO is enabled??!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@RupaJ  - Why do you want to log on to EVM using another account? You can do everything in EVM using your own account.

msinga
SAS Employee

Hi @RupaJ ,

The first approach would be to use fallback authentication. If you have IWA configured with fallback authentication( details in SAS Middle-Tier Administration Guide), then you could use a browser that is not configured for IWA. That should let you fallback to default login prompt.

Another approach would be to use an Administrative account that is configured prior to configuring IWA/Web Authentication: 

Middle-Tier Administration Guide has a note under "Configuring Web Authentication " section like this: 

"Before you perform this procedure, make sure that you grant administrators access to SAS Environment Manager. Once web authentication is configured, internal accounts like sasadm@saspw are unlikely to exist in the authentication provider that you use for web authentication"

So if you have already configured an Administrative account , you could use IWA account. 

Hope this helps

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @RupaJ ,

technically it is possible to run backups with your own account, but it is not supported by SAS, hence not recommended.

For you to make it work, you would need to know extremely well how SAS works internally (Authentication Domains, the roles, the WIP database, the SAS Content Server, etc). Hence, let us settle on the recommended fact that you do need sasadm@saspw.

This being said, as you have IWA:

- you can run backups from the command line and/or rest api service of the tool.

- if you will run it from the GUI, you would indeed need to use the fallback URL, if you have it configured, then login as sasadm@saspw. This would be with something as http://your.server.com/SASLogon/login&fallback=true

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-Middle-Tier-Fallback-Authentication-w...

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS102-2014.pdf

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/How-to-config-Web-Application-for-URL-authentica... 

Best regards,

Juan

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JuanS_OCS  - Agreed. My use case was more around using EVM for performance monitoring where personal account access would be prefectly OK. 

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you everyone for your responses. I did not configure the IWA with fallback. @JuanS_OCS  - Thanks for he document on how to set up fall back. But I just can't understand why my account cannot be given all the privileges that sasadm@saspw has so I can do everything with my admin account :-). 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation