BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wanderer99
Calcite | Level 5

If I try and uninstall SAS 9.3, (on Win 7, 32 and 64 bit) either from "Programs and Features" or using the deployment manager it loads up, and lists all the Sas components to uninstall.  If I then click on Next it just freezes and nothing ever uninstalls (I've tried leaving it for an hour at this point).  The only way I've found to get round this (and it doesn't always work) is to deselect all the components except for "Sas Foundation" and uninstall that on it's own.  If I then go back and try and uninstall components two or three at a time then this often works.  Any feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Macaraeg
Calcite | Level 5

I was having the same problem as the OP for months now.  I finally figured out what needed to happen.  It was all due to java 1.7x.  Even though SAS recommends java 1.6, I've always pointed the necessary files to java 1.7 and have had no complaints.

We use Windows 7 64bit, but 32bit SAS 9.3 was installed.  We only install 32bit java versions.

1. Install jre6u24 (32bit).  You do not need to uninstall java 1.7x.  You can always uninstall java1.6 afterwards.

2. Edit your "C:\Program Files\SASHome\sassw.config file.  (the Deployment manager uses java to uninstall and java 1.7 is not really supported).

Original:

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe   < I changed this line

SASHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome

DPLMTREGLOC=C:\Program Files\SASHome\deploymntreg

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

VJRHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository

manually change after java 1.6u24 install.

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

Just change  jre7 to jre6.

That's what fixed our area.  I use deployment manger to uninstall SAS 9.3

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Joey Macaraeg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Try calling Tech Support.

sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

check this if its help -

close all SAS Applications (probably everything running on machine - just in case) on your machine before try to uninstall it. I am not sure whether you need to proper permission to do it but make sure you have that too in favor...

gd lk!

Macaraeg
Calcite | Level 5

I was having the same problem as the OP for months now.  I finally figured out what needed to happen.  It was all due to java 1.7x.  Even though SAS recommends java 1.6, I've always pointed the necessary files to java 1.7 and have had no complaints.

We use Windows 7 64bit, but 32bit SAS 9.3 was installed.  We only install 32bit java versions.

1. Install jre6u24 (32bit).  You do not need to uninstall java 1.7x.  You can always uninstall java1.6 afterwards.

2. Edit your "C:\Program Files\SASHome\sassw.config file.  (the Deployment manager uses java to uninstall and java 1.7 is not really supported).

Original:

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe   < I changed this line

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

manually change after java 1.6u24 install.

JREHOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

SASENVIRONMENTSURL=

Just change  jre7 to jre6.

That's what fixed our area.  I use deployment manger to uninstall SAS 9.3

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Joey Macaraeg

jmhorstman
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks - this was a huge help!

Ericca
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, this worked for us as well.

Chang
Quartz | Level 8

hi,

it is slightly more complicated on my side. My attempt to edit the sassw config file returned a 'access is denied' message. I edited the file as the administrator but I couldn't save the edited config file. I ended up installing the Configuration changer exe, which can be downloaded at 49059 - Updating a SAS® 9.3 Foundation installation and associated SAS® client applications to work ...

While running this exe, I had to navigate all the java folders under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\" to find the one containing both java.exe and jvm.dll. Mine is jre6. Your one may be different, depending on which older version of jre you install. Then two lines appeared in green. Bingo! Java run time environment (jre) was finally reconfigured. SAS deployment manager finally responded, allowing me to uninstall SAS 9.3. Try not to do this when you are asleep. It is very easy to mix up jdk with jre and get stuck with the two lines appearing in red.

Chang

skridler
Calcite | Level 5

SAS no longer provides licenses for version 9.3, so I'm trying to uninstall to upgrade to 9.4, but the Deployment Manager won't launch. Without a valid license for 9.3, I can't stasrt to re-install it, even just for the purpose of getting the Deployment Manager to launch.

I tried installing the older JRE, but it didn't help, even after uninstalling the current Java. Most threads lead back to instructions that include using the Deployment Manager, which would not launch. I don't think the procedure mentioned above, at http://support.sas.com/kb/49/059.html would work, because current licenses are no longer available. I had to resort to using the manual instructions at the following page. 

http://support.sas.com/kb/37/352.html 

(I also posted this comment in the following, similar discussion. https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/Can-t-launch-SAS-Deployment-Manager-Uni...)

This will probably come up again for others I support, so any tips are welcome!

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

SAS should be able to provide you a licence for 9.3 

Ksharp
Super User

I remembered there is a SAS uninstall tool published by SAS . Search it at  support.sas.com   .

skridler
Calcite | Level 5

The uninstaller is for version 9.2.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 10 in conversation