BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
js2a
Calcite | Level 5

Hello. I work at a Help Desk at a fairly large college. We have recently started using SCCM 2012 to push applications to our users, and have started looking into SAS renewal as well. I have some experience pushing out applications using Microsofts new "Application Model", as well as having pushed out one manual package (i.e. how SCCM 2007 deployed applications). I'm wondering how I would go about using SCCM to perform the SAS license renewal.

I've found plenty of knowledge base articles on the silent mode usage for sasrenew.exe, like this one http://support.sas.com/kb/31/021.html However, after scouring forums, I'm unable to find the exact method for using SCCM to renew the SAS license. For instance, I could create a package that contains the license txt file, but what would the command line syntax be since it references the absolute path for the txt file using the -s switch? Would I actually include sasrenew.exe in the package? Or, do I need to use a script when using SCCM?

Basically, I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone using SCCM (especially 2012) on doing a SAS renewal. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I don't use SCCM but SASRENEW.EXE is already part of installed SAS so you wouldn't need to include it in SCCM. I would have thought that the SCCM package would have to be copied to a PC drive folder and then you could reference the licence file from there. You may find it easier to ask SAS Tech Support about this.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

In the past (through 9.3), the SAS renewal process just changed one file in the $SASHOME directory tree.  You could manually renew SAS on a test machine, find and grab that file, and then use SCCM to push it to your users (Our IT team does that with another desktop management tool.).  The only caveat is that the file contents may be different for different versions and "bit-ness" of SAS and you risk trashing a working PC (SASRENEW does that checking for you.).

js2a
Calcite | Level 5

Doc@Duke wrote:

In the past (through 9.3), the SAS renewal process just changed one file in the $SASHOME directory tree.  You could manually renew SAS on a test machine, find and grab that file, and then use SCCM to push it to your users (Our IT team does that with another desktop management tool.).  The only caveat is that the file contents may be different for different versions and "bit-ness" of SAS and you risk trashing a working PC (SASRENEW does that checking for you.).

Thanks for the answer. Do you happen to know which file gets changed?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

The license is updating the file core.sas7bcat in the sashelp directory (with this word you can google/verify)

34306 - An authorization error
occurs when you attempt to update a SAS® 9.2 license
(9.2 notes) . You could put an updated version over that.

Or you could  use a mklink to an other loction with a own correct version of that file

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation