BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ssmott
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello there,

I am having trouble updating my license information and updating SAS on the computer in my lab. I have my new license saved in the correct folder and I'm following the instructions exactly, but when I go to Programs->SAS->Utilities there is no option to renew anything. I have also tried running the Deployment Manager as an Administrator, but there is still no option. Finally, I've tried searching the C: drive for sasrenew.exe and I've come up with nothing. I currently have SAS 9.4 TS1M2.

I appreciate any pointers! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@ssmott no problem. You need to have administrator access to your PC to apply the licence. Your problem is no longer a SAS-related one and is now simply OS-related. Once you have admin rights this will work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

Does your SAS Deployment Manger show "Administration Tasks" option in the "Select SAS Deployment Manager Task" Window?

Expand that option if it is collapsed and you should see the Renew SAS Software option.

SimonDawson
SAS Employee

@ballardw has this one sussed out. It was about the 9.4 M2 era when the older style renewal utility was removed and functionally was introduced into the SAS Deployment Wizard. I don't recall specifically which release this happened but it was one of the relatively recent ones

To see the SAS Deployment Manager in the start menu you need to logon to the system with the same account that performed the original installation of SAS. Alternatively you can launch the sasdm.exe from inside the SASHome.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SimonDawson - On our SAS 9.4M2 the Renewal Utility is still there and the Deployment Manager doesn't have the Renew SAS Software option. I suspect it got added in M3 - I can see it in our SAS 9.4M4 Deployment Manager.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your SAS licence has not yet expired, you can use an old-fashioned way of applying it - open SAS, read in the licence file into the Program Editor and run the PROC SETINIT statements. That will update your licence.

ssmott
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @SASKiwi!

I am attemping to execute this solution, but I don't have a ton of SAS experience so I'm having trouble reading in the .txt file for the license. Since it's obviously not in a table form, do I not use the "input" function as I do with .csv files? 

I know it's not as easy as the following code because it didn't work.

data license;
infile "C:\Program Files\SASHome\licenses\SAS94_9C1734_70085624_Win_X64_Wrkstn.txt";
run;

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@ssmott - Start a SAS session (run sas.exe if it is not on your Windows Start Menu) and then in the Program Editor go File Open and select the licence file. This will read the licence file into the Program Editor window.

Submit the lines in the file starting with PROC SETINIT by highlighting the lines you want to submit with your mouse and press F3 to just submit those lines.

ssmott
Fluorite | Level 6

@SASKiwi - Ok, I attempted this solution. I was able to open the file and run the code, but got these errors:

ERROR: User does not have appropriate authorization level for file SASHELP.CORE.CATALOG.
ERROR: The site validation data cannot be updated. This is most likely due to the fact that the
SASHELP catalog is not available in write mode, and/or that the SETINIT option has not
been specified when using the SAS command.
ERROR: Difficulty reading the site validation data.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

I'm so grateful for all your help!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@ssmott no problem. You need to have administrator access to your PC to apply the licence. Your problem is no longer a SAS-related one and is now simply OS-related. Once you have admin rights this will work.

PKSAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am also facing the similar issue. Did you find any solution for this?

Thank you.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation