BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sciron192
Calcite | Level 5

Linux Base SAS 9.4M5, the private Java 7 is bundled with it.

ODS PDF output worked, updated a few OS packages, now when executing:

ods pdf file='yourFileNameHere'

The following error is generated:

ERROR: The Java proxy is not responding.

ERROR: The Java proxy's JNI call to start the VM failed.

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or system administrator.

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or system administrator.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

SGPLOT was to produce the output to go into the PDF.

sassw.config contains:

# cat sassw.config
[properties]
JREHOME=/usr/local/sas9.4/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java
SASHOME=/usr/local/sas9.4
PRIVATEJREHOME=/usr/local/sas9.4/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java
DPLMTREGLOC=/usr/local/sas9.4/deploymntreg
VJRHOME=/usr/local/sas9.4/SASVersionedJarRepository

The paths exist, as does the private Java installation.  That file has a timestamp of 2014, whatever change occurred is not there.

My next step is rolling back updates on one machine see if SAS can find Java.  I will reply again afterward but that I'd put this out there if someone knew where I could look to see the configuration SAS uses for its own Java.  SASROOT/SASFoundation/9.4/sasv9.cfg contains no relevant information I can find.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The fact that PROC JAVAINFO doesn't run successfully definitely points to Java configuration problems. Opening a Tech Support track is the best option to get this fixed. SAS should definitely be using its own private JRE as that is the only one SAS officially supports.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Did you confirm that the folder /usr/local/sas9.4/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java actually has any files in it?

I had an IT "java update" that went out and removed the files leaving the folders behind once upon a time.

There is Proc JAVAINFO as starting place for java related diagnostics.

This may provide more information that you want to see but is a start.

Proc Javainfo All;
run;
sciron192
Calcite | Level 5

Good to know about Javainfo, thank you.  I am still digging through the mountain of documentation but have yet to see anything related to this specific point.

This issue occurs on two machines - the only change being OS updates.  I'm still working my way through those.

Executing what you suggested produced:

ERROR: The Java proxy is not responding.

ERROR: The Java proxy's JNI call to start the VM failed.

ERROR: Proc javainfo did not run correctly.

However:

$ /usr/local/sas9.4/SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment/9.4/jre/bin/java -version
java version "1.7.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_151-b32)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.151-b32, mixed mode)

alternatives is pointed to the OS installed Java, which I'll tinker with shortly to see if any messages change.  It is possible it was setup this way before the updates and I did not realize it (taking over for someone who did this for >30 years).  It should not need to be configured that way but this is costing other people's time at the moment so band-aids are acceptable.

Thank you for your insight.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The fact that PROC JAVAINFO doesn't run successfully definitely points to Java configuration problems. Opening a Tech Support track is the best option to get this fixed. SAS should definitely be using its own private JRE as that is the only one SAS officially supports.

sciron192
Calcite | Level 5
I was nearly there, this helped push me to Tech Support.

Thanks again for your everyone's assistance.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation