BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

My server went down today, and it looks like it was due to a user running the server out of memory via R, as I see in the notes:

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: tkrproxy64.exe (6600) consumed 107340787712 bytes

This is the process that SAS creates to manage the R interface.  That's around 100GB of memory!  

Obviously the R interface isn't configured to respect MEMSIZE, which is understandable.  How can I limit the memory it's allowed?  Can I configure the command SAS uses to start the process (using the --max-mem-size flag) or is there a correct configuration file, either in the R or SAS space, to set this?  

I assume I can't configure SAS to run the R job on another server, and still allow users to use PROC IML to directly submit R jobs (and take advantage of the quick data passing between the two).

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Surely you should look at R's own memory settings? SAS has no control over what memory other software uses.

snoopy369
Barite | Level 11
It could be set in either place (SAS could set the limit when it spawns the process), but either way I hope to get an answer from someone who administers a SAS server as to how they set that limit whether or not it’s in SAS configuration.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Limit the memory consumption of user processes by means of the operating system.
A well set-up system should never allow a user process to bring it down.
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11
Windows actually was okay, but it killed the SAS WebAppServer as that was the second biggest consumer of memory.
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

Based on this documentation it sounds like SAS doesn't pass options to R when it starts it but you can set environment variables:
No startup options are sent to R by the SUBMIT statement. In particular, you cannot set command-line options such as --no-restore or --vanilla. However, you can set some command-line options by using environment variables.
Source: https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/imlug/imlug_r_sect004.htm?

So perhaps you can use R_MAX_MEM_SIZE to limit memory consumption from R?

https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/utils/versions/3.6.2/topics/memory.size

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Ah, that's just what I was hoping for - I looked at some documentation pages that talked about everything else in that _except_ the environment variable, for some reason... will try it out, thanks!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation