BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

It appears that the 'LASR Analytic Server' is automatically started either upon reboot or upon execution of the 'sas.servers' script.

That isn't possible, but most likely that server is starting through the autoload process.

After looking at /var/log/messages - it definitely appears to be some sort of memory leak because I just received another 'out-of-memory kill process' error.

I'm wondering to see the current MEMSIZE value. Start the workspace server and run a program shown below:

proc options option=MEMSIZE value; run;
MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7

After running the command suggested I got the following value:

Which is a little over 189 gigabytes.

alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

How much RAM do you have on that server? 190Gb? If so, it looks like MEMSIZE is set to 0. You need to change MEMSIZE and set it to 80% of available RAM. Do not forget to restart your LASR server after that.

MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7
I have 192 GB on the server (according to an implementation report I have). Though when running 'free -h', the command reports I have a total of 188G of memory.

What would I gain by setting the MEMSIZE to 80% of capacity? What would be the purpose? And after doing that, the only thing that needs to be restarted are the LASR servers?

According to 'WorkspaceServer_usermods.sh', the MEMSIZE is indeed set to 0.

alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

MEMSIZE 0 allows your SAS session to use 100% of RAM available on the server. Non-distributed LASR server is also limited by MEMSIZE.

MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7

So the idea here is that, if there is some sort of memory leak, and that memory leak comes from the LASR server process or one of its child pid's, it won't reach the point of generating an Out-of-Memory kill process signal? If so, what instead would happen?

Is there any official recommendation/documentation from SAS that indicates what the MEMSIZE should be on a non-distributed LASR server?

alexal
SAS Employee

The official recommendation is to use up to 80% of available RAM and leave 20% for the OS. If you won't leave anything to the OS, Kernel sooner or later will start killing processes.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation