BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7

I send emails in our 9.4 SAS environment within a program in an EG project using the FILENAME statement.

Sometimes the emails are not received.  I'm trying to debug where the email is being dropped.

Are emails sent using this code within EG logged somewhere?

Where is the log located?

Thanks!

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
By default the only log for the Workspace Server (the SAS session that Enterprise Guide is connected to) is the one surfaced in Enterprise Guide. You can enable workspace server trace logging as described here:

Create a Log File for Workspace Server Troubleshooting
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bisag/p0atyzdgfzbsjfn1j4bbbt14ic7t.htm

The EMAIL FILENAME method uses the EMAIL options group (proc options group=email;run;) so if this is pointed to an external email server you might look at the logs for that server also. If it's using localhost, you'd want to check the local server's mail log.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
By default the only log for the Workspace Server (the SAS session that Enterprise Guide is connected to) is the one surfaced in Enterprise Guide. You can enable workspace server trace logging as described here:

Create a Log File for Workspace Server Troubleshooting
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bisag/p0atyzdgfzbsjfn1j4bbbt14ic7t.htm

The EMAIL FILENAME method uses the EMAIL options group (proc options group=email;run;) so if this is pointed to an external email server you might look at the logs for that server also. If it's using localhost, you'd want to check the local server's mail log.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you for the reply!
I will check the article you attached to see what we can do to enhance our troubleshooting capabilities.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Does you EG work with a remote SAS server or with SAS on your PC? How are you sending the email. Using code with the EG project? If so what does the SAS log report? 

jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7
The EG projects that send the email run on the server on a schedule in our production environment. The projects build our datasets every morning. If there are any errors, each EG project will send an email using the FILENAME statement in a program contained in the EG project.
In the case in question, the error was not noticed until a few days later, so I wasn't able to check the SAS log.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In that case I assume you are exporting the code out of your EG project and running that on your SAS server. EG projects require EG to run. Do you not keep a history of SAS logs on your server so you can go back and find problematic ones? 

jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7
We have EG running on the server.
I assume you are talking about the EG log. I don't know how to save versions of the EG logs on the server so that they can that problematic logs can be reviewed at a later time. If you have some documentation on how I can set that up, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
Jerry
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Interesting - first time I've heard of EG being run as a server app for batch-style processing. PROC PRINTTO can be used with an EG project to direct logs to text files. An alternative would be to export the EG project to SAS code, then schedule that as a batch job. That automatically produces SAS logs. No programming changes required. 

jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7
Great! Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll looking into using Proc Printto.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
SAS Server typically does not store the email informtion in any of its log. You shoul approach the mail server administrator,
Sending emails from SAS is fairly robust and if your code and email address are correct, mail would reach its destination. In case the destination email address is incorrect normally the mail server notifies the sender.
This would be the from address in the email.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation