BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Deonjpret
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

When User open Enterprise Guide or any SAS Application and go save as....

Under Servers the path is set in SMC. As my attachmewnt indicates.

I would like to set that path as a macro variable as many business units have their own folder, I want them not to browse

where they don't have access.

Please see my attachment for more detail.

Thank you Deon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Deon,

I had the same problem with my environment.  We have different business units that all use a single grid environment, and each unit has their own secure file system.  I had specific Unix groups created for each business group and these would be the primary group ID for any user in that business group.  We then set the permissions on the file system so that only users in that group could access the file system, and then I created autoexec code that runs any time a user connects. The autoexec code checks the user's primary group ID and then create the symbolic link to their relevant file system/directory within their /home/$USER directory. I'd be happy to help out if you can provide me with a few things:

1. The code you're currently using to create "&workpath" macro variable.

2. Do you have x-commands enabled for your workspace server? (This is necessary if you want to use SAS autoexec code to create the symbolic links for the users)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

is it not sufficient to you with the users just making use of the SASUSER library and their personal SAS folder?

About your question: did you already tried to set the macro variable (_workpath)in the autoexec_usermods of the Workspace server and call that macro variable from the Custom path as /sas/dev/data/userdata/.&_workpath?

When you set this, you will need to restart the Object Spawner or refresh the SASApp.

PS. maybe you could get additional support on the Administration Community.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Moved the post to a forum that better matches the question.

Data never sleeps
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Basically what Juan said, I think you should have auto exec code for the workspace server that creates the the work path for the user by creating a symbolic link in their home directory.

This is what i am doing I in my environment.
Let us know it you need mor details
Deonjpret
Fluorite | Level 6

I have tried the macro variable, and it does not resolve. I like your idea of a symbolic link to be created. Can you please share more so I can test and see if it resolves my problem. We have 600+ users which is onboarding this new environment and I just don't want to much manual work. This seems to be a once off. Please remember what is my objective: When in a SAS Solution, and I go file Save As.... every user should be able to go to his own Business unbit folder.

Thx

Deon

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

After the change, I would expect you restarted the object spawner.

Have you already tried an operating system variable? In Windows "!USERNAME" works nicely.

What I do for my EGuide users is to define, in Workspaceserver\sasv9_usermods.cfg is to define:

-SASUSER "D:\mypath\!USERNAME"

Which works like a charm. It is not the filepath, but the users can use it for their own stuff

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Deon,

I had the same problem with my environment.  We have different business units that all use a single grid environment, and each unit has their own secure file system.  I had specific Unix groups created for each business group and these would be the primary group ID for any user in that business group.  We then set the permissions on the file system so that only users in that group could access the file system, and then I created autoexec code that runs any time a user connects. The autoexec code checks the user's primary group ID and then create the symbolic link to their relevant file system/directory within their /home/$USER directory. I'd be happy to help out if you can provide me with a few things:

1. The code you're currently using to create "&workpath" macro variable.

2. Do you have x-commands enabled for your workspace server? (This is necessary if you want to use SAS autoexec code to create the symbolic links for the users)

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation