BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lhvidegaard
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all

I need to uninstall the above ABAP add-on from an SAP system. I have been looking for documentation on this and came across "Post-Installation Instructions for SAS/ACCESS 9.4 Interface to R/3".

Unfortunately, the instructions for this version do not apply to the 9.2 version (the add-on simply does not show up on uninstallable components tab in SAINT). And I have not been able to find any documentation for the 9.2 version.

Does anyone here have any experience with uninstalling from SAP or can maybe point me to some documentation?

Thanks in advance!

/Lars

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

TBH, I would not bother. As soon as it is not licensed anymore, it will not be available, and the disk storage the software needs is negligible.

Especially in the light of space needed anyway when you update to SAS 9.4, which you should have done 3 years before yesterday, IMO.

lhvidegaard
Calcite | Level 5

Well, the only reason I am doing it is that we need to do an upgrade of the SAP system (to BW/4HANA) and the removal of the SAS add-on is a pre-requisite. So, now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get rid of it

(The company I'm working for stopped using SAS several years ago but never bothered to "clean up" their systems afterwards...)

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So you can just remove the whole SAS installation, which (on UNIX) means removing complete directory trees (depot, install, config) and maybe some entries in inittab or rc scripts. And the SAS installation user and other userid's (sassrv, for instance).

What you also may want to remove from the previous SAS server is the native SAP client, but that should be covered by SAP documentation.

For removing parts of the SAP installation on the SAP server, also look up the relevant SAP doc. AFAIK, SAS/ACCESS modules don't need anything installed on the DB servers themselves (at least not with DB/2, which was the only ACCESS module we ever used).

lhvidegaard
Calcite | Level 5

Kurt,

Thanks for your suggestions. Although I'm worried whether it'll be enough to just delete the relevant files (this was originally on SQL, the DB has since then been upgraded to HANA). 

There's no useful SAP documentation on this - they basically just state that uninstallation is the responsibility of the 3rd party provider of the add-on 😠 (And, of course, the SAP basis team never thought to keep any of the original documentation that came with the software...)

Anyways, it's worth trying to delete the installation in the sandbox and seeing what happens. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you require documentation I would contact your SAS representaive/Delivery manager.

Or raise a track to SAS support.

Data never sleeps
lhvidegaard
Calcite | Level 5
I already contacted SAS support, still waiting for an answer...
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you no longer have a current SAS licence then you are unlikely be able to use any SAS tools to remove the software. @Kurt_Bremser 's approach looks like your best option.

lhvidegaard
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Just a quick update from here. I got a response from SAS support. It turns out there was no "official process" to uninstall version 9.2.

But, luckily for us we are not alone in the world, and other customers have had this issue before. Turns out SAS R&D have created a set of  transports that delete the relevant objects. So we are going to try that out in the sandbox now...

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation