BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Manoj07k
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I understood SAS Studio starts two workspace servers for each user who signs on. One workspace server is used to handle user activity in the application, and the second workspace server is used to process the submitted tasks, programs, and queries. The workspace servers remain in use until the user's session ends. Also, the additional workspace servers are started for each background job that a user submits.

But our challenge is, I want to estimate the utilization/job count when a user workspace server remain in use until the user's session ends.

For Example : when a user open SAS Studio we get below two LSF Job created with workspace server. But user runs multiple programs with single session, and it all goes with one LSF JobID. In this case we’re not able to identify the real usage of various metrics. Specially on no of jobs one user submits.

Do we have any way to account the usage of the second workspace server which used to process the submitted tasks, programs, and queries ?

Please find more details :

Release: 3.8 (Enterprise Edition)

Supported browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
  • Mozilla Firefox 21+
  • Google Chrome 27+
  • Apple Safari 6.0+ (on Apple OS X)

Build date: Feb 3, 2020 11:53:34 AM
SAS release: 9.04.01M6P11072018
SAS platform: Linux LIN X64 3.10.0-1127.13.1.el7.x86_64

Please let me know if any questions

Thanks in advance.

Cheers !

3 REPLIES 3
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

The simplest way to perform this is to a create a sas dataset to logs the time.
Every job should add a row to this data set the jobname, start and end time.
How it should be implemented depends on your specific environment.

Alternatively you may seek help from sas tech support.

Manoj07k
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @Sajid01 

We do have a track of the jobs we run on the system. But the main issue with SAS Studio. As I mentioned each Studio session logs two job ID. But users run multiple job with one session when compared to rungrid/gridsubmit whereas for each job it has one job Id. 

SimonDawson
SAS Employee

My first reaction is enable workspace server logging and post process workspace server logs. Do you have specific metrics you are trying to extract about users activities?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation