BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

We have a SAS 9.4 M5 production environment and I set up a DR environment exactly like our prod, for failover purposes. Now I will have to create  or rather replicate the users, groups from prod to DR environment. What is the quickest way to do that. I tried backup and restore and backed up the metadata from prod and copied it over to DR server under /opt/sas/config/meta/Lev1/SASMeta/Metadataserver/Backups. However when I check the SAS management console - Metadata Manager- Metadata utilities - server backup -  I don't find the file listed in order for me to restore. How should get this done? 

4 REPLIES 4
SimonDawson
SAS Employee
There are many ways to do this. There are many contributing factors that would dictate what strategy is best for you.

Did the DR system get configured by the SAS Deployment Wizard or was it cloned from production?
Is the DR going to be up all the time?

The way I've tackled this is to use the SAS Platform Object frame work to periodically port content from one system to another.

Identities in both the DR and production come from the same upstream system (Active Directory).

See this link for the promotion tools.
https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bisag&docsetTarget=n008xsxs34mvcwn1qrgcmugpzu6i.htm&docse...
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@SimonDawson - Thanks for the response, I used SAS deployment wizard to set up the DR environment, I didn't we could just clone the servers. I shall go through the link you sent. So this can't be done by simply restoring the metadata?

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi,

In this case your DR environment was created using the SAS Deployment Wizard and is its own deployment.  Restoring a metadata backup from one deployment to another is not supported and so restoring a metadata backup from the Production deployment to the DR deployment is not supported. 

Here is a link to the SAS position statement regarding disaster recovery which states the approaches that are supported. 

SAS Disaster Recovery Policy

https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support/services-policies/disaster-recovery-policy.html

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Ahh Thanks @michele_sas. This is very helpful. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation