BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

I am installing a new instance of SAS 9.3, and in the Client Install, I need to specify what mode SAS E-Guide is to be installed - 32-bit or 64-bit.  How do I find out what mode E-Guilde has been installed in, on our curent functioning implementation?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

I'd say one way was to start EG, click on Help>About. In my installation the version has a suffix of (64-bit).

RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

Actually, our current implementation, when I check Start/programs/SAS, i see both 32 and 64 bit options.  Is it possible to have both versions, if EG was only installed once?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Nice contribution Andrew. Thanks from my side.

One addition to yours:

- Indeed, there are some advantages with the 64-bit version

- If you make use of another language/locale rather than en_US: beware about 64-bit. I mean, it is not a big issue, but 32-bit version of EGuide is historically much more stable regarding NLS (national language support).

- And if you still want to use EGuide 64 bit even with other language than en_US, no problem, but then if you experience any issue, you would like to contact SAS support (or just go to support.sas.com, because it is public information) in order to apply a couple of hotfixes/workarounds.

AndrewHowell

Juan - as Chris indicates in one of his posts, the key influencer on whether to use 32 or 64 bit EG is to match your local version of MS-Office & associated data sources.

RGUL
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Juan and Andrew for helping to clarify why 32 and 64 bit versions are getting installed and about the preference and advisability of using the 32 bit version.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation