BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
hanfei28
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, 

I am replicating code Program 2.10 in the material (https://support.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/books/free-books/exploring-sas-viya.pdf).

data bigcars;
set sashelp.cars;
do i=1 to 1000000;
output;
end;
run;

it shows

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.BIGCARS.DATA.
ERROR: File WORK.BIGCARS.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.

I am using SAS Studio with Viya 3.3. I am wondering why I encounter insufficient space error.

Thanks,
Fei Han
7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User
Are you working on a company installation? If so, you'll need to talk to your IT team about space allotment.
hanfei28
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks @Reeza . I am running code on a company installation. 

Reeza
Super User
Then your IT has likely set up a limit per person that's too low or isn't running the clean work utility to clean up the libraries.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do you really want to multiply the observations by 1 million? On my installation, that would result in a 66 GB file, exceeding my (self imposed, as I am the admin) quota by a factor of >6.

Using a factor of 100,000 worked, resulting in a ~6.4 GB dataset file.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

PS my test run with a factor of 100,000 took 1 minute and 21 seconds on a 2-core pSeries. The log of the data step in the pdf shows a time of just 23 seconds for 10 times that amount, so SAS must have run that on a really big honking piece of iron.

This:

"We can see our CAS session has started and that we have 14
workers. Each worker has 16 CPU cores, which gives us a total of 224 threads."

(emphasis by me)

should give you a picture of the machine(s) used in that test.

You need to get a picture of the hardware available to you (both in SAS 9.4 and Viya) and adapt the codes accordingly.

hanfei28
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your answer @Kurt_Bremser @Reeza 

Here are my system information. Viya system has one machine with 16 CPU cores, RAM=126GB.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@hanfei28 wrote:

Thanks for your answer @Kurt_Bremser @Reeza 

Here are my system information. Viya system has one machine with 16 CPU cores, RAM=126GB.

As long as you don't run it in CAS, the size of your WORK (on disk) is important. Have that checked.

After switching to CAS, since the projected size of the 1 million multiple dataset is 66 GB, that would eat more than half of your available RAM. As an admin, I would NOT let a single user occupy half my space.

Bottom line: reduce the multiply factor to a value that is sufficient to display the performance difference between SAS 9.4 and CAS/Viya.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation