BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rpellicaan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am having trouble connecting to a Azure SQL Database from SAS using Azure Active Directory Authentication. This is our first attempt to connect to a Azure SQL DB. 

I can successfully connect to the database using sql-authentication (odbc.ini AuthenticationMethod=1), but when I switch to AuthenticationMethod=13, I get the following error:

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [SAS][ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol driver]HY000Failed to connect() to host or proxy. : [SAS][ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol driver]Failed to authenticate the user 'xxxx@xxxx.onmicrosoft.com' in
Active Directory (Authentication Method is '13 - Active Directory Password').

NOTE: It takes 10 minutes and 1 second for this error to occur, so it seems like there is some kind of time-out occuring.

I found https://support.sas.com/kb/67/463.html , but that is not the error I get (I have ValidateServerCertificate=0 set in de odbc.ini).
This article has the same error message:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/The-connection-to-SQLServer-Azure-using-Active-D...
but I don't how these drivers version related to the ones that are supplied by SAS.

Has anybody got a clue?

Is it possible to use integrated authentication (kerberos) from SAS to Azure SQL Database, or is only username/password authentication possible?

2 REPLIES 2
rpellicaan
Fluorite | Level 6
Note: we are running SAS 9.4 M6 on AIX, using SAS/ACCESS Interface to Microsoft SQL Server
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This looks like a tricky database connection configuration problem. Getting help from SAS Tech Support is probably your best option.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation