BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ibrwa
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear SAS community, 

I'm trying to connect to Oracle with Libname statement but I got an error. I have done lot of research and checks but I'm blocked. I try to run the following libname statement: 

libname ORGORA Oracle user=ORG password="ORG" schema=ORG_SYS path="ORG";

I have the following error: 

ERROR: ORACLE connection error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

Oracle and SAS are installed in the same server. I have made a look in the tnsnames.ora and I can find the path correctly defined: 

ORG =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxxxxxxx)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = ORG)
)
)

I then check that in the server I can ping the path ORG which works fine also: 

[oracle@xxxxx ~]$ tnsping ORG

TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on 25-MAR-2022 11:22:48

Copyright (c) 1997, 2014, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxxxxx)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = ORG)))
OK (0 msec)

I have also check in SQL developer, and I can connect without any issues. Please see the attachment. I have restarted the database, restarted the listener but I'm blocked. 

Can you please help me ? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ibrwa
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello @Patrick 

Thank you for your reply. I have solved the issue. So what happens? When I configured the Oracle client for SAS access to Oracle I relied on this tutoriel: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2017/04/25/how-to-configure-oracle-client-for-successful-access-to...

The tuto explains this: To configure the Oracle client, create a file called tnsnames.ora, for example, in the /etc/ directory. Paste the following lines with the appropriate connection parameters of your Oracle DB into the tnsnames.ora file. (Replace"your_tnsname", "your_oracle_host", "your_oracle_port"and"your_oracle_db_service_name"with parameters according to your Oracle DB implementation)

However I think that it is not a good practice. Why ? The tnsnames.ora used by Oracle software can be updated if you create a new service name like I did. So if you create a separate tnsnames.ora in /etc you need to update it each time when the original tnsnames.ora is modified. 

I my situation I forgot to update the file /etc/tnsnames.ora. Thus, my new service names ORG is not present in /etc/tnsnames.ora then I got the issue. It is better to use TNS_ADMIN variable directly used in Oracle which is: $ORACLE_HOME/admin/network then you I don't need to each time update the file /etc/tnsnames.ora. 

But finally yes I have solved my issue.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello
Successful connection with SQL developer means you have the proper credentials.
 Try using the following libname statements 

libname ORGORA Oracle user=ORG password=ORG path=ORG;

I

ibrwa
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello @Patrick 

Thank you for your reply. I have solved the issue. So what happens? When I configured the Oracle client for SAS access to Oracle I relied on this tutoriel: https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2017/04/25/how-to-configure-oracle-client-for-successful-access-to...

The tuto explains this: To configure the Oracle client, create a file called tnsnames.ora, for example, in the /etc/ directory. Paste the following lines with the appropriate connection parameters of your Oracle DB into the tnsnames.ora file. (Replace"your_tnsname", "your_oracle_host", "your_oracle_port"and"your_oracle_db_service_name"with parameters according to your Oracle DB implementation)

However I think that it is not a good practice. Why ? The tnsnames.ora used by Oracle software can be updated if you create a new service name like I did. So if you create a separate tnsnames.ora in /etc you need to update it each time when the original tnsnames.ora is modified. 

I my situation I forgot to update the file /etc/tnsnames.ora. Thus, my new service names ORG is not present in /etc/tnsnames.ora then I got the issue. It is better to use TNS_ADMIN variable directly used in Oracle which is: $ORACLE_HOME/admin/network then you I don't need to each time update the file /etc/tnsnames.ora. 

But finally yes I have solved my issue.

Thank you for your help.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@ibrwa Thank you for sharing with the SAS community. Also feel free to add a comment to the referenced blog if you think there is a better or alternative way how to do this. I'm sure this will be helpful to others facing similar challenges in the future.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation