BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FrankPoppe
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

In general I am a supporter of using the check-in-check-out (CiCo) authorization mechanism when a group of developers is working together in a project.

But an always occurring nuisance is that when developers only have the CiCo metadata rights they cannot deploy jobs (that requires WriteMetadata rights on some objects).

There does not seem to be a way to give developers just those rights they need to deploy jobs, without making possible the kind of accidents that you try to prevent with CiCo.

Or is there a way?

Do others experience the same problem?

Is this something for a feature request?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

one way to handle that is to create developer user accounts and production user accounts.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can solve this problem by having a separate "Deploy" authority whose members handle that step.

In our case, the final development step (putting jobs into production) is handled (upon web-based request) by the datacenter people who also control the scheduling. We (the developers) have authority only to move the codes up to the pre-production stage.

Mind that we do not use SAS scheduling, but keep our codes in SVN and have the jobs defined and run in Control-M.

FrankPoppe
Quartz | Level 8

It seems the environment I usually encounter is different, on two aspects:

• Often single-signon is the only way developers can log on to the SAS metadata, which excludes the use of a separate identity.
  • Usually the developers are responsible for deploying jobs and creating the package to promote something from the develop environment.

That is why I was looking for a way to combine CiCo with deploying. But it seems that is not possible without a change in the SAS metadata setup...

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation