BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Everyone,

When I use the Option to check the "Library is Preassigned" in Management Console I cannot see the library in EG but I can login to EG and see it and also assign it when the library is not preassigned. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you pre-assign libraries in SMC then to ensure you can see the tables in the library in EG then you need to add this to the library definition:

screenshot13.jpg 

Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this but it didn't work.I am trying to assign it by native engine ,but on my workspace server logs I can see an error that says my password is missing. When the library is not preassigned I can see it and also assign it. 

Then, I tried saving my password too with my username in DefaultAuth Domain in SAS and it worked! Looks like the workspace server isn't able to pickup my password from Kerberos on AIX . Any suggestons?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Sorry, delegation of credentials is a tricky subject and I'm not familiar with AIX. @PaulHomes or other admins are probably better qualified Smiley Happy

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Also watch out for "Pre-Assignment Type: By external configuration" - that one is just an indicator that you are planning to pre-assign the library by some other mechanism such as adding a libname statement to an autoexec. You then become responsible for arranging for the library to be assigned - if it doesn't get assigned then it doesn't get shown in EG.

Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to assign it by native engine ,but on my workspace server logs I can see an error that says my password is missing. When the library is not preassigned I can see it and also assign it. 

Then, I tried saving my password too with my username in DefaultAuth Domain in SAS and it worked! Looks like the workspace server isn't able to pickup my password from Kerberos on AIX . Any suggestions?

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

So it sounds like you are using a SAS/Access engine with Kerberos delegation? Something with this level of complexity its hard to help with in forum posts without lots of detailed information. Lots of questions around authentication configuration, platform architecture, versions, copies of logs etc I would suggest passing this one on to SAS Tech Support.

Aasth
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been in touch with the SAS technical team too. It looks like for pre assigning libraries for a third party DB2 using a custom Auth Domain the password has to be always saved in SAS.

There is however, another situation too that's bothering me. when we set the auth domain to default for all the libraries(DB2 database libraries) , one user cannot access te tables with password missing error, however all the other users can. This happens in the case when the libraries are not preassigned.

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

When there is a person who cannot or does not appear to be able to automatically retrieve shared credentials from a group in SAS metadata I look for one of 2 main things:

1) Are they really a direct or indirect member of the group that owns the login? I use our Metacoda User Reviewer or Group Reviewer plug-ins to check this but you can of course also manually trace the users identity hierarchy in the standard User Manager plug-in.

2) Are they an unrestricted administrator and therefore unable to retrieve usable stored passwords from metadata. If so then they should really be using a normal/second restricted account for this type of work.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation