BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I would like to establish the ODBC connection to Salesforce from SAS. We have SAS/Access interface to ODBC installed at our site.

By reading the documentation,SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Data Administration Guide, Second Edition i understood that it requires the composite server to be installed.

I do not have the ODBC driver for salesforce installed on the SAS server. Does anybody know which ODBC driver is to be installed for this?

Also, once the driver is installed should i be following the below steps to access the salesforce data?

1)Establish ODBC connection to Salesforce

2)Create a connection to the server from SAS management console using New Server wizard

3)Create a ODBC library in SAS Management console using the New Library Wizard

4)Import the metadata

Are the above steps correct or will it require other tools to be installed (Like Composite studio) for accessing Salesforce data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Using SAS/ACCESS to ODBC is the only way you can currently access salesforce.com data.

Please contact Data Direct or Simba or salesforce.com themselves for the driver.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
akshatadeshpande
Calcite | Level 5

Has anybody accessed SalesForce.com from SAS?

CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

As far I understand you need both: SAS Data Surveyor for Salesforce.com (Composite Studio) and SAS Access to ODBC. It means that you need at least SAS DI Server.

mich1
Obsidian | Level 7

Why Yes...I have 🙂

BASE SAS 9.4 M5 and DEVART ODBC WORKS - SEE EXAMPLE BELOW - SEE DEVART ON APPS STORE

HURRAY! Running tests on this driver with BASE SAS 9.4 M5 desktop and it can read\write. I wrote this comment for other SAS users who may need to do this...

Here is working SAS CODE AND SYNTAX:
/*ODBC TO SALESFORCE SANDBOX - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM DOWNLOAD*/
libname SANDBOX odbc
datasrc='SANDBOX'
user=’SALESFORCE USER NAME'
password='PASSWORD'
schema=ALL
preserve_tab_names=yes
preserve_col_names=yes;

/*UPDATE TEXT FIELD USING ID*/
PROC SQL;
update SANDBOX.YOUROBJECT__c
set YOURFIELD__c = “I WAS HERE WITH SAS”
where ID = "YOURIDSTRINGHERE";
quit;

/*INSERT EXAMPLE*/
PROC SQL;
insert into SANDBOX.YOUROBJECT__c
set YOURPARENTRECORD__c = 'YOURSTRINGHSERE', NAME = "WHATEVER", YOURFIELD__c = "I WAS HERE WITH SAS";
quit;

Updates are a few tenths of second while inserts are 2-3 seconds...Good solution if you just need to update a few thousand records

- Bread Crumbs and Circuses for all

Bread Crumbs and Circuses for All
SenseiCAY
Fluorite | Level 6

What download are you referring to in your reply here? Is there an install process or anything?

Thanks!

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The link shows in very clear steps what to do. What steps have you taken?

If you wish to try alternative solutions. you need to talk to SAS about what other options may apply, and are supported.

Data never sleeps
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Using SAS/ACCESS to ODBC is the only way you can currently access salesforce.com data.

Please contact Data Direct or Simba or salesforce.com themselves for the driver.

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @akshatadeshpande

This may help...

An Insider's Guide to SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC

There are some Salesforce examples in the paper.

Donna_SAS
SAS Employee

I understand that you may also need a SalesForce developer's license to access the data.....

mich1
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello,

I used the Devart ODBC driver on a Windows 10 PC with SAS 9.4M5 to read\write updates to my SalesForce account. The SalesForce Admin creates your user name, password, and token - and once you've setup the ODBC you can connect via SAS using your SalesFoce user profile. So, no admin\developer account is required. You just issue commands from Base SAS script instead of browser. Thanks

Bread Crumbs and Circuses for All
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @akshatadeshpande

SAS is releasing SAS/ACCESS Interface to Salesforce sometime next year. Keep your eye out for it.

Best wishes,
Jeff

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

This is exciting. There is a new SAS/ACCESS product for Salesforce. This product requires SAS 9.4M6.

For more information take a look at the doc.

SAS Doc (Non-Relational) https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=acnrdb&docsetTarget=ti...

Best wishes,

Jeff

@JBailey

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation