BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Taliah
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, Do you know if MAPE can be used to asses an autoreg model. Using proc Autoreg, it is listed in the results, but we understand that some statisticians do not like to use it (maybe we misunderstood). If it is not a good way to asses the model, which of the other measures provides a good assessment? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Choosing such a goodness-of-fit / quality assessment metric is always a challenge. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and it also depends a lot on what you as a modeler want to achieve with the model : Explaining the past ... forecasting the future ... accuracy ... explain-ability and interpretability ... conciseness ... .

Personally, I prefer to use AICc (or BIC) because MAPE & RMSE only look at the error without taking into account the complexity of the model. RMSE/MAPE brings therefore more risk of overfitting, while AICc/BIC uses a penalty for each additional term in the model.

An "infinite" amount has already been written about this. You're sure to find good resources. I just hope they don't just make the choice harder.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Choosing such a goodness-of-fit / quality assessment metric is always a challenge. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and it also depends a lot on what you as a modeler want to achieve with the model : Explaining the past ... forecasting the future ... accuracy ... explain-ability and interpretability ... conciseness ... .

Personally, I prefer to use AICc (or BIC) because MAPE & RMSE only look at the error without taking into account the complexity of the model. RMSE/MAPE brings therefore more risk of overfitting, while AICc/BIC uses a penalty for each additional term in the model.

An "infinite" amount has already been written about this. You're sure to find good resources. I just hope they don't just make the choice harder.

Taliah
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much for all the details!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation