BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am trying to split a dataset into two datasets. My dataset consists of three variables, patient, note_date, note. For example, the dataset has many patients and each patient has many records. I am trying to determine what is the first visit date for each patient and then seperate the dataset into one dataset containg all patients with their first visits only and a dataset with all patients with all visits except the first one. For clarity the patient can have more than one first visit date. I tried using first. but can't seem to work out the logic. Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
Well I figured this one out.

My code is below.

proc sort data=progressnotes;
by pat_name note_date;
run;

data temp;
set progressnotes;
format n_date mmddyy10.;
n_date=DATEPART(note_date);
run;

data temp;
set temp;
retain first_visit;
format first_visit mmddyy10.;
by pat_name note_date;
if first.pat_name then do;
first_visit=n_date;
end;
run;
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
In order to streamline your code, this construction:

[pre]
data temp;
set temp;
[/pre]

is not needed. Since progressnotes is sorted and you are creating n_date only for the purpose of creating first_visit for every obs in a patient group, you can do everything you need in one data step program. You might, instead, consider code like this:
[pre]
proc sort data=progressnotes;
by pat_name note_date;
run;

data temp;
retain first_visit;
format first_visit mmddyy10.
n_date mmddyy10.;

set progressnotes;
by pat_name note_date;

n_date=DATEPART(note_date);

if first.pat_name then do;
first_visit=n_date;
end;
run;
[/pre]

If you don't want a separate n_date on every obs, then you could just have
[pre]
first_visit=datepart(note_date);
[/pre]

But you must have wanted a separate n_date on every obs, since you put it there in a separate data step program. At any rate, you can create n_date and first_visit in the same program.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Cynthia,

I don't mind shortening my code.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation