BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple solution to check is table empty or not.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a solution! I think this is the best one 🙂

data _null_;
call symput('obscnt',0);
set work.out;
call symput('obscnt',_n_);
stop;
run;

%If &obscnt=0 %then %do;
%put 'There are no records in a dataset.';
%end;
Calcite | Level 5
Here's an alternate solution:

proc sql;
select "# of Obs in WORK.OUT: ", nobs
from dictionary.tables
where libname='WORK'
and memname = 'OUT';
quit;
deleted_user
Not applicable
That's cool, but I don't like to be depended of this "dictionary"... Ofcourse, it's up to you... 🙂
advoss
Quartz | Level 8
Why don't you like to depend upon the "dictionary" tables? Unless you are using where clause in a proc or data step, the information provided by the dictionary tables is as good as SAS is.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Some people seem to have the impression that querying the Dictionary views is a slow process. In all cases I have seen, this is a result of poorly constructed SQL code and a SAS session that includes foreign (Sql server, Oracle, DB2 etc) libraries.

A well constructed SQL query such as that shown should have no performance issues.
LawrenceHW
Quartz | Level 8
If people don't like querying dictionary tables (and I don't understand why not) you can always use the following code:

%LET dsid=%SYSFUNC(OPEN(work.dataset));
%LET nobs=%SYSFUNC(ATTRN(&dsid.,NOBS));
%LET rc=%SYSFUNC(CLOSE(&dsid.));

The number of observations is then held in a macro variable [NOBS].

%IF &Nobs. EQ 0 %THEN %DO; .... %END; etc. etc. Message was edited by: LawrenceHW
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
This is an elegant solution and one that I use a lot.

Just one warning that any %IF logic cannot be in open code -- but must be in a SAS Macro program.

cynthia
Akhil_Vijayan
Fluorite | Level 6
Am try outed this but it shows as "There are no records in a dataset" also when the data set contain observation

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation