BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Is the BLOB data type available in SAS Base? I am trying to concatenate patient notes for multiple records. For example, a patient has 50 records, each with a clinical note that may be up to 40K characters. If I combine all notes into one record then I could have up to 400K characters. I have written a program in VBA to do this but I am running into a field size issue. Can I use the BLOB data type to combine a patient's multiple notes into one note? Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
There is no actual BLOB data type in Base SAS, but is has been considered for SPDS. You can read BLOB data types from external RDBMS, but the SAS/ACCESS engine will convert them into char variables. Since the maximum length for char in Base SAS is 32K, I guess you have to split your data into several rows/columns. Apart from that, you have an observation lenght limit to handle: 2GB.

/Linus
Data never sleeps

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Health and Life Sciences Learning

Need courses to help you with SAS Life Sciences Analytics Framework, SAS Health Cohort Builder, or other topics? Check out the Health and Life Sciences learning path for all of the offerings.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation