BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Justin,

Do you know what release the 100% stacked bar chart will be in?

Also I was wondering whether having this aggregation would also provide a 100% within a category group for a cross tab so that rather than a percent of total measure all adding up to 100% in a crosstab it will be 100% within each column for instance. (I think I had raised a tech support feature request for this in the past.)

Thanks,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
EO13
Calcite | Level 5

Stacked bar charts can be done in VA, even with 6.2.  (Without custom chart types).

What you need to do is convert your variables in to aggregated measures in VA (as percentages).

So if I have measures called A, B, C and "total" measure, create "New Aggregated Measure" for A/B/C.

01.png

THEN

02.png

This creates a new "aggregated measure" which I called %A.  If I do B and C, I can drop them onto a bar chart with "stacked" chosen to get a graph like this:

1.png

We recently upgraded to VA 6.4, but the above screenshot was actually taken from 6.2.  The category at the bottom that I call module can be anything that the data supports.

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I really like it! It's much simpler than my approach.

Just expanding on your solution, I'd like to show how to derive A,B,C, etc. as mentioned in your example (in case they don't exist) for any existing measure, which makes this solution even more flexible.

I have 3 columns of interest:

• Facility Region
  • Product Line (four distinct values that I'll use to derive four new calculated items equivalent to A,B,C,D)
  • Revenue (that's the reference measure)

I want to show % Revenue for Product Lines per Facility Region.

To calculate Revenue for Product Line A:

Capture.PNG

Repeat that for all Product Lines, and then calculate their respective percentages (aggregated measures) as indicated before:

Capture.PNG

And that's the final chart:

Capture.PNG

The same approach can be used to combine multiple Product Lines (and call them Others), if we are mostly interested on A and B only:

Capture.PNG

Thanks EO13!

AleCla
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for both of these notes, it is useful to see this solution I can see how it will work when you have a distinct set of values (product lines) in the above example, however if you have a dynamic set of values you need to create an aggregated measure for each one, which will require constant maintenance to completely add up to 100% for each if you are interested in the detail.

The limitation to this is you need to repeat this process for each individual measure you choose which can become quite time consuming and prone to error!

Cheers,

Alex

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Just an update... VA 7.1 released in the beginning of October supports 100% Stacked Bar Charts. It is just a Bar Chart property called Grouping Scale and the option is called "Normalize groups to 100%", like the screenshot.

NewBarChartProperty.PNG

Thanks,

Renato

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 15 likes
  • 10 in conversation