BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CK1988
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everybody!

I've fitted a log-binomial model with PROC GENMOD and want to output the deviance fit statistics. After specifying the AGGREGATE option, though, the model does not converge anymore. I know fitting log binomial models is still an issue and often leads to non-convergence, which was a problem as well. Therefore, I applied the revised COPY method by Deddens et al.* which worked and the model converged.

Anyway, could the weighting cause the problem? Does anybody has an idea what the reason could be? Alternatively, I think about calculating the LR test by hand with the log likelihood information from my fitted model and an intercept-only model - would that be appropriate? I guess simply running a logistic model would be inappropriate becaus in fact with a different link function it is a different model?

In principle, that's my syntax:

proc genmod data=data desc;
weight w;
class a b c d             /param=ref;
model y=a b c d e f  /dist=binomial link=log intercept=-4 cl (((aggregate)));
run;

I appreciate your comments and answers. As this is my first question, please let me know if you need further information!

*COPY method: save a copy of the original data set weighted with .999 and a second copy with the response reversed and weight .001. then merge the two copies into one data set and use this third data set for regression (with weight statement). (http://oem.bmj.com/content/65/7/501.long)

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I am not an expert on this topic, but I would have expected to see

AGGREGATE=(a b c d)

The doc says "Specifying the AGGREGATE option is equivalent to specifying the AGGREGATE= option with a variable list that includes all explanatory variables in the MODEL statement."  Currently you are also aggregating over the continuous variables e and f 

CK1988
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Rick,

thanks so much for your reply! You're right, aggregation was for all, i.e. character and numeric covariates in the model. I read before that for defining unique profiles for all observations all variables have to be included. That's why I thought the doubling and weighting of the original dataset could be the problem.

Nevertheless, I re-ran the model without the continuous covariates and indeed, the model converged, but the requested statistic is still not in the output. Here's what the log says:

NOTE: The Pearson Chi-Square and deviance cannot be computed since there is more than one profile of the explanatory variables within the same profile of the aggregate variables. The SCALE= option is ignored.
NOTE: PROC GENMOD is modeling the probability that y='1'.
NOTE: The Pearson chi-square and deviance are not computed since the AGGREGATE option is not
specified.
NOTE: Algorithm converged.
NOTE: The scale parameter was held fixed.

I didn't specify the SCALE option. As I got this note before, though, I already tried to define a scale parameter (deviance and Pearson) but that didn't help either.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Your NOTEs do not match the syntax that you supplied. Post the code or log that generates the notes.

Here is working code that you can study/modify.  If a model doesn't converge, it is usually a sign that the model does not match the data.  If you can duplicate your problem by using the Sashelp.Heart data, please do so.

proc genmod data=sashelp.heart;
class BP_Status Chol_Status Smoking_Status Weight_Status/param=ref;
model Status(ref='Dead')= BP_Status Chol_Status Smoking_Status Weight_Status
         /dist=binomial link=log cl aggregate;
ods exclude ObStats;
ods output ObStats=ObStats;
run;

proc print data=ObStats(obs=10);
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation