BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I want to compare the mean/median of a variable X between 2 independent samples. Variable X is continuous, ranges from <1 week to 32 weeks. The problem is, I have increments of weeks (1, 2, 3, 7, ...32) and then 30% of the data which is <1 week. How should I model this variable, should I assign it a randome value like 0.5 weeks?

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Are you counting <1 week as 0 weeks? If so, PROC FMM and PROC GENMOD can fit zero-inflated count models.such as ZIP and ZINB.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

It probably doesn't matter what value you assign to the <1 cases if you use a rank-based nonparametric test as are available in PROC NPAR1WAY. 

Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, this just occured to me too! Have just modelled it as 0 and used NP methods. Thank you all for your input.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation